Search Unity

Cryengine going mobile soon? Now support for Mono C# with realtime scripting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by janpec, Mar 14, 2012.

1. janpec

janpec

This are some quite big news. They have just integrated realtime C# scripting which works the same as in Unity, probably that would extend engine beyond FPS genre, just the similar way that Epic is rumored to pick. Judging from the video all scripting changes are made realtime and you dont even have to press save, its compiled automatically and seems like very fast. There is also Direct3d support which allows for user created systems like GUI and Webplayer which is already in works, basically some sort of asset store is on the move.
    Crytek also released first mobile game, which seems to be running on CE3, and on forums there is also rumored mobile support very soon.
    Hope that Unity is preaparing some big update for v4, becouse it seems like that on both ends Epic and Crytek are advancing so fast.

2. vdek

vdek

Competition is good, if it keeps Unity on their toes than that's awesome :)

3. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

I'm taking a guess that Unity 4.0 will have DirectX 11 as a possible export option for windows and the editor and so forth will be available as 64bit. As well as the promised new GUI system.

4. taumel

taumel

Hmm, for GUI i'm not looking forward to V4, i expect it to be shipped in a V3.x cycle as it has been said a couple of times that this is a V3 feature, quick look into the roadmap, yup as for instance here for V3.5:

*snip*
    UI framework
    We’re rewriting the in-game GUI system from the ground. We’ve made it simple and intuitive to create modern game interfaces with tons of animations and other effects. Everything is assembled in a visual GUI editor. A lot of effort is going into optimizing the GUI system for minimizing run-time overhead through automatic texture atlases and aggressive coverage-based batching.
    *snap*

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

untity 4.0 is going to be too late for keeping up with the neighbours :)

A lot of what UDK and CryEngine offer is just the shaders in all honesty, but great design of this part gives you great looking games like shadowgun. The problem as I see it from a personal perspective is as the sole coder in our company I simply do not have time in the working day to make the game and the shaders (our games are a bit heavy in development so take more programmer hours)

6. taumel

taumel

I had some imo valid critics regarding certain aspects of Unity since the beginning, so i'm kind of a traditionalist but i quite don't understand you and a few others here. A few days ago you were kissing Unity's asses and now as there are some competitors shaping up you're kicking them in the nuts. Sounds a little bit unprincipled.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I made it very clear in several posts since I joined these forums that I will criticise unity when I see a problem, and support unity where I don't see a problem.

That is a very strong principle I haven't broken, it's the same way I support everyone including my friends. I don't kick them when they're down but I shape them up on the way up.

Saying "kissing unity's asses" really does show your lack of social understanding in the year 2012, you should work on your manners, dude :) you didn't offend me but I'm sure you'll be lacking friends if you keep it up.

Try reading posts I've made before opening the mouth.

8. taumel

taumel

Nope, that's exactly how it comes around, thinking of different threads i read through.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah different threads you read. But not the ones that don't support your arguments, right? :) I like that, it shows that the forum troll is a cunning species that is able to avoid detection and build a network of tunnels under the forum, where he can pop up and strike from any angle, swift and fleeting!

10. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

lol, they must be thrilled as well! hehe j/k

d:p

11. kerters

kerters

C'mon guys, you could be such a great team :)

12. n0mad

n0mad

Kerters, you don't have the right to make me explode in laughter like that.
    (no offense to you guys btw)

13. taumel

taumel

Hey, just because i'm fat and even too lazy too argue today, doesn't mean i'm wrong.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

bumping this as cryengine has now released their first mobile game. It features fast depth of field and the ability to bake all of cryengine's goodness (ie you choose when it updates) on the device.

http://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?path=apps/crytekgmbh

I'm still sticking with unity as I'm not convinced just yet, but it is fairly compelling and it's a nod to unity to get those roller skates on. It's not gonna be easy guys! :)

15. nipoco

nipoco

Delicious!
    I like the vivid colours and the overall feel of that game. It's not what I would expect from Crytek, but I like it.

16. npsf3000

npsf3000

A little bird suggested otherwise to me.

17. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What "fast depth of field"????? I don't see any real-time depth of field. If you mean those DOF in the beginning, I think you are looking at a pre-rendered movies. There was also a "DOF" looking at the fridge level, but I am pretty sure that's just a pre-rendered blurry background.

I honestly thought Crytek would do much better than this. So far its a good looking game but its nothing impressive technically, everything shown in that Fibble game can be done in Unity.

18. janpec

janpec

Yeh thats exactly what i thought heh. Its nice to see crytek make colorfull game, however you cant step of realism with their realtime lighting, but it still looks very good.

Hippo are you considering changing to Cry even with their current licensing system?
    Just out of curiousity, i am not following IOS market, but does quallity in IOS market still weight off a lot in sales? For example if you make great looking game (and nice playable) like Fibble, does this provide guaranteed income, which is above avarage?
    If that would be the case then with Cryengine you would be able to make great looking games which are optimised a lot so from that point of view it would be great engine for IOS.

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It doesn't contain any pre-rendered movies ;)

20. taumel

taumel

Worked fine but the the game design is horrible plus lots of loading and clicking away cut scenes.

21. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Pretty sure those are movies, and as it cuts to LOADING SCREENS before actual REAL 3D magic happen.

22. taumel

taumel

Crytek and movies? You don't know Crytek very well.

23. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Pretty sure those are pre-rendered movies. Or pre-rendered/pre-blurred background. There is no way to efficiently do DoF on iOS because of drawcall/fillrate issue.

24. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Actually Crytek's moto is something along the lines of: real-time all the time or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuoTCcJgMsA

Also a game for iPad with Cryengine: http://www.crytek.com/games/fibble/overview

and the dof, bokeh stuff can be seen in the overview videos
    http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/overview

as well as the new directx11 showcase video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpoYF-pGQU4

Generally if their doing something, they are doing it real-time, so it can be interactive

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm doing dof right now on mobile. I might be prepared to upload it to asset store if I polish it enough to be of use, so I know 100% its fine to do. DOF isn't much more work than bloom, and you have access to mobile bloom. Just the addition of drawing a depth pass, but if you draw the depth pass yourself you can have a much smaller camera range for depth, which really helps things in terms of performance (and mostly the background is blurred regardless).

Chickenlord seems up for the challenge, if he gets unity pro that is :)

The cryengine game doesn't have any pre rendered movies. You can also see on their screenshots for the asset store that they have realtime cut sequences, it's a selling point for them.

There's a number of tricks you can do for DOF, I've been looking into it for quite some time. I need to fix a couple of issues with mine (still learning shaders) before I can share anything.

I like unity staff. I make business decisions based on how well supported I am. Unity staff are willing to support me and give me bits of time here and there. There's no way I'm interested in changing to cry engine while I have a good rapport with the people who are driving the backbone of my business (in this case it's unity).

In truth the only reason I bumped this topic was to alert unity that there's a decent bit of competition and they need to think along the lines of post shaders for mobile and flash. That's right - mobile shaders are extremely beneficial to desktop and console (because sometimes you need to take a quality hit for a lot more speed).

I posted a bug report recently involving unity's post FX failing on flash, I hope that gets fixed/improved.

As you know, flash is shader model 2 - like mobile - so it needs a decent bit of care. It is also slower, and will run on worse hardware. That is the crux of the matter.

In truth it takes a LOT more skill and intelligence to make fast shaders than it does to bang out something that uses POW and cosines all over the place.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  26. janpec

janpec

I am making and bumping topic with the same reason, but on completly different platform and shaders :D Seems like we are fighting on opposite fronts, unless Unity has enough staff to push the same on both ends:D

27. nipoco

nipoco

Is that just me or is there no DOF in the game?

28. Patapouffe

Patapouffe

If you polish it and release it to the asset store, I will buy it ! Dof with decent performance for mobiles is a must have !

29. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

+1 on the purchase here, hippo. I'm looking for a good DoF solution and haven't gotten around to writing one myself.

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll have a crack at it after this deadline. If I can't be bothered to polish it goes up for free, else if I spend lots of time polishing it then I'll charge some random non explosive figure to pay for my tepid pond where I must lurk.

31. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Do you find pounds of chocolate make you lazy? If so, expect some in your mail ;).