Search Unity

Crowdfunding success possibilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liminal-Ridges, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

What does a project require in order to success in a crowdfunding site? Not talking about decent goal or presentation but for the game itself.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

If the game is any good, then it matters the least when it comes to crowdfunding. What matters is how you sell it.

The same applies to when your game gets released. The game may be the best in the world, but if you can't convince people of that, nobody will care.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Go to kickstarter page for example and study successful / failed projects.
    You will get best experience and answers.

Topic is too broad to even try narrowing it.
    For first and last, get the to the goal, you defined.
    If is unrealistic, or too trivial, you will likely to fail.

Ostwind and angrypenguin like this.
  4. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

I'm no expert on crowdfunding, but I think the key is achieving popularity. If you can attract many people to your Kickstarter page, they you will get some support. There are many success stories of popular YouTubers who started a campaign and amassed large sums, simply because they already had a lot of subscribers.

Also, people must have faith in you. That's why having a strong reputation before you look for public support works so well (Star Citizen).

5. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

6. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

The indiegogo guide emphasizes alot in popularity and having an audiance before the launch of the compaign. Does the country of tge project play any role? Maybe the creators require an origin from already-successful countries in this business.

7. AkiraWong89

AkiraWong89

I never did a crowdfunding yet in my EXP but investors and sponsorship, B2B.

8. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

As far as terms of service I'm sure there are some variables, but that should be easily findable on their website. Finding that out is probably as easy as reading through their FAQ.

As far as actual practicality, not unless you plan on pulling out for some billboards, banners, or paper ads. However, running an ad campaign online can add numerous variables and force you to work with multiple different agencies, all of which will each have their own rules and regulations regarding to international business. But that's all high-scope S***, you can do anything with anything. I will say that there are some low-key far away places that are very web friendly, like Zimbabwe and the Philippines. I spell checked your quote for you, that's sure gonna be a thing.

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

For the game itself, you need a design, resources, and portfolio that can attract enough followers to meet your crowdfunding requirement.

Here's a hypothetical:

For example, let's say you think you need $100,000 USD to deliver your game. If you don't have an experienced producer on board, or at least a great advisor, you should probably double it to $200,000. Timelines and budgets are where producers are worth their salary. So let's compromise and say $150,000. The crowdfunding service, government taxes, etc., will take ~50%, so you really need $300,000.

The function of crowdfunding is to convert existing followers into funders. It's not for gaining followers. If your studio has a well-respected existing portfolio, the conversion rate might be 3-5%. If you don't have a strong portfolio, assume 1%. If you haven't done your research on existing crowdfunding portmortems, say 0.5%. So we'll compromise again and say 1%.

If you can get the average funder to kick in $20, you need $300,000 / 20 = 15,000 funders.

At a 1% conversion rate, this means you need a way to notify 1.5 million people that your campaign has started.

So you need a design that can drum up the interest of 1.5 million people to sign up for some kind of notification, with a team and resources that they have confidence can deliver it. (By resources, I mean the facilities and services available to you. If your design calls for on-site photogrammetry of locales around the world, but you can't travel, you don't have those resources.) It might be difficult to get that many signups for a very obscure, niche genre, unless you hit a nerve and appeal to an underserved market. A popular genre, like a battle royale shooter, will get more eyes, but your game and team needs to stand out from a lot of competition, too.