Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Crossy Road Reskin

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Cox18, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Cox18

Cox18

Can anyone help me I'm new to this reskin thing but really want to learn just bought Crossy road source code and have no idea to upload/ modify in unity need help thanks!!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I love to help newbies, but I haven't a clue what you're talking about. But I gather that you bought something from somebody; if you don't know how to use it, you should contact that somebody for help.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Basically he's purchased a complete game asset and wishes to re-skin it.

https://www.codester.com/items/955/crossy-road-city-unity-game-source-code

I recommend going through the project tutorials in the Unity Learn section. Buying a complete project definitely helps reduce the amount of work you need to put into making a game, but you still need to know how to use Unity properly and that's what that section is for. You can't just skip it by buying a "finished" game.

Kiwasi and JoeStrout like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That link looks dodgy at best. If it is genuine source code, then it's been illegally ripped from the game. If its not genuine source code, then its marketed illegally.

Either way its a sign of a product that might end you up in legal hot water. I would stay well clear.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's not the actual Crossy Road game. It's just a cheaply made clone.

That being said I agree but for a different reason. It's not worth the cost they're charging.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29032 - Road Crossing Game Template ($30)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/56188 - Simple Animals ($15)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/65935 - Low Poly City with Cars ($10)

That's only $55 and I didn't even take my time looking for those last two assets. You might find even cheaper ones.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Kiwasi likes this.
  6. Cox18

Cox18

7. Cox18

Cox18

Actually your correct I purchased this from game gorillas and just needed guidance on how to set it up inside unity I guess I'm just lost and confused

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's like I mentioned earlier. Start with the Unity Learn section. Purchasing this complete asset before you learned how to use the tools is a bit like putting the cart before the horse. You won't be able to make any use of it till you've learned. It's not a difficult task to re-skin the game but it's definitely not something you can do without knowledge of Unity.

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That's what it looks like. Trouble is that its marketed there are being the actual source code for the #1 game.

You are going to have to learn Unity first. Go over to the learn section. Do the interface and essentials section. You should at least get to the point that you can find your way around the project and set it up in Unity. I would suggest making a few simply games of your own to get the hang of it. Space Invaders and Pong are good concepts to start with.

@Ryiah probably the biggest fault of the advertising is they sell the idea that someone can just buy app source code and then get rich overnight with minimal effort.

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Space Invaders may actually be more complex than a road crossing game. Both games have character movement, both games have a way to die, both games have a score, but Space Invaders allows you to shoot your enemies whereas you're simply dodging them with the road crossing game.

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Froger is probably on par with Space Invaders. Flappy bird might be slightly easier.

Crossy Road has procedural generation and complex art requirements. At least to make it look like the modern game.

Anyway, which ever you choose a first project should cover the basics
    • Getting some crude art into Unity
    • Creating objects
    • Moving objects around
    • Detecting collisions with other objects
    • Destroying objects
    • Game over conditions
    Pong, break out, flappy bird, space invaders, frogger, asteroids and any other number of games will fit this bill. Just pick something simple from the 70s or early 80s.

JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  12. Schneider21

Schneider21

I just want to throw this out there, since it hasn't been said yet:

If you're doing this to try to make money, just stop now.

The market was flooded with Crossy Road clones within weeks of its release in 2014. Google Play and the iOS App Store have more Crossy-clones than I care to count, and I would be shocked to hear that any of them (other than the original and Disney spin-off) made a profit.

Do you want to make games, or make easy money? They are mutually exclusive things.

Kiwasi likes this.
  13. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The evidence on this thread suggests there is easy money to be made selling reskin kits :p

Schneider21 and Ryiah like this.
  14. Cox18

Cox18

Thanks for you info and help

15. tedthebug

tedthebug

Now that Apple are apparently being more selective in what they let onto the App Store there's a chance, & I personally hope it is a large one, that games that are nothing more than a reskin will not make it past the initial check by Apple staff.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  16. dude621

dude621

Hello, I am entirely new to Unity and Game development. I will be going into it and learning all I can and see how it goes. I wanted to purchase a source code that is a beat em up style and to my knowledge re-skinning is like putting a new face on the game. I do not wish to make money just have fun learning and creating my own games for me, friends and my children. Its just all in good fun any help and guidance besides the obvious tutorials would be appreciated.

17. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

That's a terrible way learn. Purchasing a complete project or just a bunch of assets is not going to help you the way you think. You need to learn Unity, it's Editor and C# programming before starting off on you own. Reverse engineering when you have no previous experience just doesn't work and will leave you confused and discouraged.

Yes re-skinning is simply swapping out sprites and textures (artwork). This will not help you in learning Unity or game development, which was your stated desired intention.

The best, fastest and free way to learn is to click on the Learn link at the top of this page. Complete several or more of the basic tutorials and all of the scripting tutorials. Don't just watch the tutorials, actually do the tutorials (make your own local project while following along). Doing so will allow you to learn Unitys work flow, the Editor, C# programming, and game development simultaneously while actually creating small games. Don't cherry pick tutorials that you think will teach you the parts you want to learn, get a proper understanding of the basics, there are plenty of nuggets of gold in every tutorial that will help you in any project you want to do in the future. Take your time and learn properly.

Joe-Censored, Vryken, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  18. Ryiah

Ryiah

Agreed. Trying to learn game development by reskinning a game would be like trying to become an interior decorator by replacing wallpaper or an electrician by installing a new light switch. Game development is much more than just a minor task (yes, reskinning is a minor task in the grand scheme of game development).

If you must learn through an existing project then you're far better off choosing one that has been built around a tutorial series as it will have been made for the purpose of teaching whereas games intended for reskinning have been built with the assumption you already know the basics.

Unity's learn section has reasonably new ones available but there are a good number of them on YouTube too if you can live with them being focused around older releases of Unity.

https://learn.unity.com/projects
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Brackeys/playlists

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Kiwasi likes this.