Search Unity

Cross-Platform Foveated Rendering for VR?

Discussion in 'VR' started by ROBYER1, Aug 15, 2019.

1. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Has anyone got any tips or knowledge to share on where to start with Fixed Foveated Rendering for VR? I am aware there is a direct implementation for Vive and Oculus separately via their SDKs/the asset store.. but nothing available that is more suitable for cross-platform development. We are developing a VR app that will run on many different headsets.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/optimizing-oculus-go-for-performance/

hippocoder likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yo,

Need this cross platform, we don't want to go through oculus DLLS and other nonsense. Any update please, staff? :)

It's relevant now you've removed the final blit in 7.15 URP (AFAICT)

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

There is cross-platform solution through Vulkan, I am hoping to see it implemented when Vulkan support for mobile VR is added. A response from the developers on this would be great of course.

hippocoder likes this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

How far off is Vulkan support?

I'd love to use it! In the meantime I can't use FFR even with the oculus manager because sadly 7.15 doesn't run any shadergraph authored shaders. Verified package my arse :)

If the CEO is going to say VR is the biggest thing since sliced bread, and he absolutely did mean that, and there's going to be huge oculus marketing behind it....

... Then yeah, I'd expect verified packages to work in VR.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. Hobodi

Hobodi

In the changelog for Unity 2022.2.0, FFR support for VULKAN appeared 6 days ago.
    • Graphics: Added Foveated Rendering support for D3D12/Vulkan.

• Graphics: Added gaze foveated rendering (GFR) on Vulkan using fragment density map offset.

But how to use it? Is there any API and ability to render to custom cameras?

DylanF likes this.
  6. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make a new post, don't necro a 2 year old one

7. Hobodi

Hobodi

Lol. You haven't even gotten into the thread about separating the rendering and physics layers, which is five years old.
    Features that take years to make can't be necro.
    But they are very much in demand, especially with the plethora of different VR helmets and platforms.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  8. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I am actually happy to see the update from @Hobodi as otherwise I would have probably not seen the new post, thanks for sharing the update as OpenXR support is still very cutting edge.

It is my fault really for asking for such features so early as I did in 2019, I went to Unite Copenhagen and was nagging some of the Unity XR team in person about OpenXR support that year lmao.

Hobodi, fherbst and DevDunk like this.