Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Cross Platform Account Linking

Discussion in 'Authentication' started by stephen_mor, May 24, 2022.

1. stephen_mor

stephen_mor

Hi there,

So I've been trying to work cross-platform account linking out for a few weeks, but haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

The second use case in the Unity Authentication docs is:

Keep up with a player across multiple devices

Many apps are cross-platform. As a result, a player might end up using their mobile device, a laptop, or tablet to use your app, switching it up as they wish.

You might be wondering...

• How can I make sure my app doesn’t register a player using multiple devices as different users?
    • How can I make sure a player is able to continue the progress of their game on any device?
    Use Cloud Save with Unity Authentication to set up sign-ins with platform accounts so the same player can sign in from Google, Facebook, Apple, or Steam and start playing again from where they left off from any device.

How do you do this?

If player starts the game on Steam on their desktop and links it with Player Account 1 and later wants to continue the game on their Android device, there doesn't seem to be any method to say "Link the current android session with Player Account 1". All the existing account linking and sign-in methods only seem to provide a ticket for the current session, which will create a new account for that player and cause them to loose all of their progress.

The way I've normally seen this implemented is the player can request an ID from the first device, and then enter that ID on the second device with a different type of login and it will connect the account to both device logins on the backend. The documentation seems to indicate this type of connection is possible on the authentication side (one user account can have both a steam login and an android login), but I can't find any way to implement this...

hkalterkait likes this.
  2. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks for posting here.
    Currently there isn't a method that would link the user from the STEAM account to the ANDROID account.
    Facebook with our Authentication SDK would be the best way forward at this current time for all cross platform scenarios.

Please know that I have shared your feedback with various teams here at Unity. This will be an important one to iron out going forward. We will be sharing a blog post in the near future to help you get started.

hkalterkait likes this.