Search Unity

Critique Our Steam Page

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frosted, Jul 11, 2019.

1. frosted

frosted

So we're looking for thoughts about how to improve our page.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113300/To_Battle_Hells_Crusade/

We still don't have a trailer up despite planning a launch very soon, so this is obviously one element to improve.

But what are your thoughts on the screenshots and text?

Is this a game you would buy? If not, why?

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I like the images. Very clear about the art style and game style. You definitely need to add a video, though.

Billy4184, pcg, angrypenguin and 4 others like this.
  3. Zarconis

Zarconis

Looks great to me, you've come a long way since the demo I played. Well done chief..!

Ryiah, frosted and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  4. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Make a trailer and release the game. I want to buy this on full price.

Ryiah, frosted and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I agree with this. Back when Greenlight was a thing, you'd see a lot of people comment that they wouldn't buy a game without a video.

BIGTIMEMASTER likes this.
  6. Vryken

Vryken

The video would be a huge bonus, but other than that, the rest looks solid. Good quality images, and a clear description.
    Would I buy it? Probably not, but that's only because the genre doesn't interest me.

I do love the name you've branded yourself with, "Filthy Peasant Games". That's pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    BIGTIMEMASTER and frosted like this.
  7. MBrown42

MBrown42

Looks beautiful, in general well polished. I like the variety of environment types and colors shown in the preview images, and --repeat others-- video please. I do not know how nit-picky you want for feedback, but one thing that struck me visually - which is unusual in itself - is that the top left banner cuts the left edge. Also the lower left UI might look a little better if it had a left and bottom margin. Pic shows what I mean - red rectangles could use margin, green is cool.

Untitled2.png

Not to detract from an obviously significant effort and what looks like great result.

*legal disclaimer: my own opinions drive me down rabbit holes of often unnecessary detail.

8. frosted

frosted

Thank you so much guys. I really appreciate it.

We're looking for harsh critique in general.

Currently, I think that we should be getting 2 people to click on the "add to wishlist" button, for every one that's doing it now. So I think we should be at double the effectiveness.

Getting a trailer up will definitely be a big step forward, but anything else that can be improved or might be lacking or "feel weird" from a customer point of view is very welcome!

For example:
    • some screenshots have UI some don't. One guy felt that was confusing.
    • some feedback noted that he didn't know what else there was to do in the game, as we only focused on the battles.
    • Etc
    Be as nitpicky as you can be. We want to improve and I think that our page isn't horrible, but players don't seem to want to play it as much as we think they should.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yeah, this is our first rodeo and we aren't communicating the game as well as we could. We've got a few plans for improvement, but this is all coming from more experienced peoples feedback. Don't waste energy finding polite words, just throw your unfiltered impression out there and we really appreciate it.

Oh, and big thanks to you guys who've helped us so far. It really is a big difference that will probably equate to more people playing our game, and thus.... more money in our coffers! MWAHAHAHA!

10. Kondor0

Kondor0

Can you afford to postpone the launch? because having a store page just now without a trailer only days before launch seems like a bad idea. You want some time to gather wishlists, ideally enough to appear in the Popular Upcoming section or you risk getting buried.

Also add some gifs to the description (gifs that show gameplay, not just a pan of the units).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. snacktime

snacktime

The old saying sell the sizzle not the steak is what first comes to mind. That and just some basic marketing strategy I think.

I think having a page up with no call to action is probably worse then no page at all.

I agree you need a video, but I would go further and say you should think of your entire steam page as a sales pitch. One where you likely have around 10 seconds to give them something interesting enough to keep reading, and another 30 to get them interested, and then not much more to close the deal.

And the sales narrative should be more like what things can you accomplish. Rule a kingdom, become powerful, etc.. What is it in your game you can use to make some emotional connection with. That's really the basis of most good marketing. It's about finding compelling reasons that connect on an emotional level, usually combined with some urgency, and always with some call to action.

Right now you just completely waste the most valuable space on the page IMO. The beta testing that's not selling. The first half of your about the game isn't really selling either. It's just kind of blah details that don't really connect.

12. frosted

frosted

I agree with this actually. I've been working on some inline images for the text and the "Looking for playtesters" announcement is a lot of dead space right in the middle of the page. We need to fix that.

You have any examples of pages that 'connect emotionally'?

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Nitpicky, but get the punctuation here right. I'm pretty sure it should be "Classic, old school, turn based battle...". Make sure it's consistently right throughout the page. This doesn't mean strictly following every obscure rule, but do make sure that the reading flows smoothly throughout.

I'd also check for hyphenation in "turn based", is it needed or not?

- - -

upload_2019-7-12_10-58-54.png
    Font sizes here are inconsistent. Pick one size and stick to it.

- - -

"But" is a negative word. This implies that the thing that comes before it is a negative thing, which is being redeemed by whatever follows. Eg: "The pay is low, but the work is rewarding." I'd change it to something like "The gameplay builds up slowly, culminating into..." which presents both things as if they are complementary positives.

I mean, you decided to have it build up slowly because that's a good thing, right?

- - -

I would consider revising your dot points so that either the important part of each can be bolded, or the important bit comes first. For instance, instead of...

"-No gimmicky challenge or cheap shots. Hundreds of hours of play testing ensure finely tuned, fair challenge. We've played this game to death to ensure you'll want to play it to death too."

I'd go with something like...

"Finely tuned, fair challenge: We've played this game to death to ensure you'll want to play it to death too. Hundreds of hours of play testing ensure that there's no gimmicky challenge or cheap shots here."

- - -

Italicise your title! Otherwise it's hard for readers to tell which bits are sentence (which should be punctuated and capitalised correctly) vs. what's title (which you can kind of do what you want with).

In the same place, I'd consider hyphenating "Pythonesque". It's not strictly required but once again can help the flow of the read (by subconsciously prompting readers to treat the "esque" as a modifier rather than a part of the base word, particularly since "Phython" goes with "Monty" which is already separated by a space).

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

Generally looks cool.

However few my points:
    Some fonts / texts seams hard to read.
    See values on the green bar bottom left panel.
    See top left info, when bright background.
    Don't know about menu?

While from artistically point, these red, green, blue color filter looks interesting, seams low contrast difference, makes details merging into one blob. That makes models on battlefield somehow hard to read. Feels too busy. See for example Heroes Might and Magic Series 3-5, and their battle system. Much details you are loosing.

I assume figures are static, are not animated? If they are it may affect, how battlefield is read.

Trees seam more distraction rather nice feature. It may require player, to rotate camera, to see what behind. Look at the stand point of new players specially, who are not familiar with such games mechanics.

Your battlefield should be self descriptive and clear to read, without needing to rotate 3d camera.

Video mentioned, is a must, if you target high sell volume. You may loose too much potential and effort, you already put in. You want interest people in. You want video on YouTube and other social medias. You want engage community. You want followers before launch. Unless you plan spent decent amount into marketing. But then, you would be able to afford video. Just make few gameplayes and fly through cameras. And assembly into nice interesting sequence. You can add accelerated in time vid. Nice writing headlines, to highlight features. Hire someone with good voice, to read these headlines (optional).

Again, more exposure to community before launch. As suggested already. I would rather postpone launch, to gain followers and that after video is already up. Don't loose on your launch One Shot opportunity on steam. You should know how I works by now.

Other than that, good luck.

Edit: Post made on mobile, so may affect, how screenshots were presented.

BIGTIMEMASTER, Ryiah and frosted like this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Also, as others have said, get a video in there.

Importantly... look at other competing games and their videos. See what works well and what doesn't, emulate the ones which work well and get you engaged. Consider having separate trailer and gameplay videos, where the trailer is a real interest builder (short, focus on highlights) and the gameplay one can be realistically paced and a bit more detailed.

BIGTIMEMASTER, Ryiah and frosted like this.
  16. frosted

frosted

Hey guys - I just uploaded a few images into the text body. Including a panning animated gif. Any thoughts on those?

They're somewhat disconnected from the text, so we need to tighten that up, but I am wondering if the images in the body actually communicate more of the game than some of the screenshots (since the pieces are close in focus there).

17. frosted

frosted

As I understand it, getting on the popular upcoming needs a lot of wishlists. You need like 5-10k realistically. This is just going to be beyond our capability realistically. If we can double our wishlist rate from the 20-30 a day we're getting now, then 1k wishlists is a realistic target we could wait for.

Kinda sucks. But we didn't get the coming soon page up early enough. Should have had this up the moment we could mock up a screenshot.

18. Kondor0

Kondor0

According to Steam the conversion from wishlists to sales is around 14% (personally I get around 10% and only after a few sales), that's why I ask if you can afford to postpone. If you are in a pickle and need to launch soon then there's nothing to do but if you can wait a bit it could be better (as long as you add more stuff to the page or find a way to get extra traffic).

Gifs are supposed to show juiciy bits of gameplay, a panning of units is the same as showing a static image in my opinion.

BIGTIMEMASTER, Antypodish and frosted like this.
  19. Antypodish

Antypodish

Just little hint, when desaturating one of your screenshots

upload_2019-7-12_4-37-22.png

upload_2019-7-12_4-41-31.png

upload_2019-7-12_4-45-26.png

upload_2019-7-12_4-46-5.png

Attached Files:

20. Antypodish

Antypodish

Here I can see more details

upload_2019-7-12_4-49-10.png

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What is this one doing where it is:
    upload_2019-7-12_13-37-41.png

I mean, what is the purpose of that? If it's meant to just break up the slab of text then put it before that sentence, not after it.

As it is, you go directly from talking about "two distinct campaigns" to that picture, via a colon. The stuff immediately after a colon is supposed to detail or expand upon the thing introduced on its left. That seemingly unrelated picture just confusingly pushes your list of campaigns away from the text that introduced them.

22. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

really useful, thanks everybody.

angrypenguin likes this.
  23. Antypodish

Antypodish

I agree.
    For what OP presents on steam, it tells much already. But current gif does not add to the content. Gameplay, that what you missing, not the exhibition of wax figures :)

I would like see moving figures from x tile, to y tile. Or maybe, is there any animation / effects when fighting? Or sounds?
    Me not so much huge fan of such genere, but as potential customer, I would like to see, what happens, when fight actually occur between units. How battle is presented and how is handled. Does shows some stats, anim, sfx, etc.

Last thing you want, are customers complaining and request refund, because they get, not what they expected. And accordingly reviews ...

Yep, it look to me completely unrelated. Does not convey information on the, whats different between each gameplay.
    You may want potentially join 2, or 3 images together as one. Better do as animated gif, and best, as vid.

Just thoughts regarding trees, or other high / large obstructing objects.
    You may want consider, implementing auto transparency, when obstructing units.

24. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I was waiting for this. Forgive me if I seem too harsh here, that's not my intention.

"The Narrative Campaign features a casual story. The gameplay builds up slowly, but culminates into massive battles that will test your endurance and focus. Victory will be hard fought, but glorious!"

This is a nothing burger. What is the casual story? Why would I be interested in your narrative campagin if I know nothing about the narrative? Details. What is "gameplay?"

"The Strategy Campaign gives a no-nonsense nose dive right into old school strategy gameplay. Hardcore gamers can challenge themselves for a perfect Golden Goblet playthrough. Tighter, highly focused gameplay means every small decision is critical."

The existence of this paragraph and the delineating description being "old school strategy gameplay" implies that this is a completely different type of gameplay from that featured in the narrative campaign. Is this actually the case? If it is, you need to make it more obvious in the previous paragraph how the gameplay is different. If it isn't...why is thisseparate?

In addition, why is this a "campaign?" The word "campaign" has narrative connotations, even in its most generically military of definitions, yet you introduce no narrative element here and do not justify the distinction from the "narrative campaign."

"Tighter, highly-focused gameplay" has two problems. The more nitpicky is that the first modifier is a comparative (tighter) while the second is not (highly-focused). The less-nitpicky problem is that you're throwing shade at the narrative campaign here by implying that it's unfocused. This sentence should be something more like: "building on the foundations of the narrative campaign, the stakes are raised such that every decision is critical, no matter how small." of course...this only matters if there's a meaningful difference between the strategy campaign and the narrative one, and that hasn't been shown.

"Unique, highly detailed unit figurines, based on authentic 10th century artworks and mythology."

Details. Give me details. "Mythology" is absurdly broad.

"Simple interface. The whole game can be played using only the mouse."

Should be "entire," not "whole."

In addition to the above, your "About This Game" section doesn't have the high-level description that's next to the images at the top...and I'd still say that one isn't detailed enough. Your images very clearly show demon-type creatures, but the closest thing to context for this that we have is "Devilish Fiends Doth March In Evil Crusade." Consider looking at the Phantom Doctrine or even the Mutant Year Zero pages for some great introductory material.

I saw a comment by Angrypenguin about font size, but for the first image and a couple others, your text isn't centered relative to the "backboard" or whatever.

I am really, really not a fan of screenshots 8 or 10 (and a couple others are iffy too). While I like the idea of the different hues, especially the red where the demons appear, it's almost impossible to distinguish what's going on at the center of the fray. Those screens aren't readable (for 8 in particular it's very difficult to tell where the demons are versus the "good guys"). I'd prefer it if the color of the characters contrasted in some way with the background.

Additionally, if you look to the Mutant Year Zero or Phantom Doctrine pages you'll see that both have very clear pictures of not just gameplay UI in their screenshots, but also active gameplay, showing things like a skill in action, or the possible actions a player can take during a turn, showing how the game is played. You have a bit of UI, but I have no idea what that means for gameplay. I have no idea what actions an arbalist can take.

25. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I dont want to bitch with frosted but why is this not moved by moderators? I have had threads like these moved, for example when I asked about our steam trailer

Edit: and on topic, like others have said a video is crucial. The visuals don't appeal me, too chaotic but I'm a 40 year old male and you probably target younger people

26. frosted

frosted

I'm fine with moving the thread if this is inappropriate. On the other hand, I think for a lot of guys, looking at a steam store page critically and some of the 'marketing effort' is probably helpful.

This is game marketing in action after all, an area a lot of us are inexperienced with, and an important part of making a game.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  27. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have had similar threads locked because they should be in WIP thread. It's nothing against you I just don't like double standards in moderation.

Problem is nobody looks in WIP section so you will not get any feedback

ShilohGames and frosted like this.
  28. pcg

pcg

I think the forums might benefit from a biz dev section. This topic and many others in General would be a great fit and its probably where I'd spend most of my time.

On topic, as everyone has said, a video is needed. I've never purchased a game from steam that doesnt have a video that I can recall.
    I don't find the visuals too busy but they do suffer a little (as does my game) in that I cant quite tell whats going on. Maybe its the units are not standing out enough from the terrain. Not quite sure.
    A video would help me decide though ;)

Would love to know how it goes. Please keep us informed. Good luck!

29. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, the WIP section is largely ignored by forum members. In addition to that, the WIP section has a bunch of threads about Assets instead of just WIP games. There is too much noise in the WIP section.

AndersMalmgren and frosted like this.
  30. Homicide

Homicide

Looks good to me

31. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

thanks again everybody. This is a lot to of good info to work from. We got our plate full!

Video is in the works, as is improvements based on ya'lls feedback to the store page.

@AndersMalmgren , real-talk here, you were being all controversial a little while back. When you annoy somebody a little bit, then they gonna look at you closer, and find more things that annoy them. That's how all people ever work. As mentioned, this isn't a WIP thread, its critique thread which everybody can learn from. SO please don't muddy it up like that. Send a PM to mods if you must.

angrypenguin and frosted like this.
  32. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I can't see how a thread that asks about feedback on a steam trailer is any different from this thread.

33. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Hey guys, we've implemented many of the great suggestions that we got from ya'll here. Really can't thank ya'll enough.

At the moment, I am working on creating some better gif's that aren't so jumpy. The rest we think is pretty good. Definitely feels more lively and is doing a better job of communicating the game. Let us know what you think.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113300/To_Battle_Hells_Crusade/?beta=0

Oh! trailer is in the works, of course. That just takes a bit of time as we are both fairly noobish with that. And collecting footage and combing through it is time consuming.

Oh oh! Our wishlist ratio has increased two-fold. Pat on the backs for all of you.

Ryiah and Martin_H like this.
  34. Antypodish

Antypodish

Looks tons better. Well done.
    Lets see what vid will be cobbled with :)

35. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Looking way better! But still:

"When the Great Beast marches in Evil Crusade, there is but one choice for Goodly Men of God: To Battle!"

This is great as an introductory statement. But you need detail below it. Who is the great beast? I assume it's Satan/Lucifer whatever.What is the reason for the "evil crusade?" What does it threaten? You invoke God here; where's he at in all of this? I could see something like this below what you already have (and the gif):

"From time immemorial we have prepared ourselves for Armageddon. But Lucifer, that serpent of deception, has preempted our plans. He and his fallen angels have risen from the depths to attack us unaware. Kingdoms fell [are we set in the real world or fantasy locations? this could use detail as well] before we understood what we faced. Even God himself is silent. The fate of humanity is in our hands. For the sake of God, and for the sake of Man, we do the only thing we can do: we take back our world, and we storm the gates of Hell [this might be presumptuous, not sure if you include something like this].

And just FYI, I'd have no problem at all with you taking what I have there and modifying it to fit what you have (not suggesting you do so, but just in case you want to).

Arbalist - a second problem is the slow rate of fire (which I hope your game includes)

Your tone is very different between the initial statements with the headers, the unit descriptions, and the "by the numbers" section. In and of itself this isn't a problem, but it needs to be done with care and deliberation.

I'm still not sure what makes the "strategy campaign" any different from a bunch of "skirmishes" you'd find in Age of Empires or Homeworld (not talking about the gameplay, just what makes it a "campaign").

But, once again--looking way better.

frosted and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  36. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

good advice.

about having more detail, our game is very story-light (even the narrative campaign). Story is purely in the form of dialogue and is bare bones simple. It's just there to give some sense of urgency and comedy at times. As such, I don't think more than a few lines of exposition would be justified, otherwise we may be sending the wrong message. And the other thing is, we feel the strength of the game is the visuals/theme and the gameplay, so we wanted to basically get images and gifs in viewers eyeballs first and foremost.

I see about getting a bit more exposition in there, just so viewer isn't left scratching their head about "why?"

That's interesting about the campaigns. I don't think neither of us thought about it that way. To us, campaign just meant "a string of connected missions." As in, your army carries over from one to the next, it builds up in difficulty, etc.

edit: @EternalAmbiguity I dropped in a short exposition blurb where you mentioned. I think that gives a better flow. Gives you a little more intro before you move into the stuffs. It won't answer much about the story, but basically the story is, "there's demons, you gotta kill them". It's all theme and dialogue, no real meat to the story (but there is some pretty good surprises)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  37. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Keeping the same army with upgrades and such definitely sounds like a type of campaign (because that doesn't happen in the one-off "skirmishes" other games have). That should be in the description; I think that would make it fine.

38. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

@EternalAmbiguity , thanks again man I look a bit closer at that.

About the tone change, i did that kinda subconsciously but i think it fits. When speaking about gameplay, the game is quite serious. Its very old school in that regard -- i.e. pretty demanding.

But in theme, it's light-hearted and satirical. So thats where that tone shift comes into play.

One thing me and frosted talked about after getting all the feedback here was that, we shouldn't be trying to describe the game coldly and analytically, we should be talking about it as if viewer is our best friend sitting next to us and we just really excited to show them about this new game. So especially down in the unit descriptions, since the unit types are kinda fun just by design, I just wrote as if I were talking, where as in bigger picture stuff above I wanna let viewer know what kind of game they are getting into.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    EternalAmbiguity and Martin_H like this.
  39. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Yeah I don't think the tone change is bad at all, just that consistency within a section is key (and I didn't see anything that stuck out to me as not working right, just wanted to mention it).

Other than the video, I think it's pretty much there.

40. frosted

frosted

Hey guys, after taking a lot of your thoughts to heart and improving the page, yesterday we got 69 wishlists. This is a 3.5x improvement from where we were a few days ago.

chrome_2019-07-14_06-46-49.png
    Our numbers here increased despite getting a kind of average amount of traffic. So this increase is just due to the quality of the store page increasing.

Last night I uploaded a trailer (its not perfect, but it's not awful). Since the trailer didn't go up until around midnight, I don't think the impact had a lot of effect on the wishlist count. So I think this jump is really due to the store page description and screenshots.

Will be interesting to see if the trailer actually bumps us up or not. I'll be happy if we can just keep in this range of 50+ wishlists a day.

Thanks for all the feedback!

41. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Right... so as others have asked already, can you put off release for a while? You're making significant, measurable improvements. I'd hold off and keep improving things for a while, or until the improvements plateau. You really want to get the store page as optimised as possible before you release your game to take advantage of it on release day/hour. Plus, you'll build up the number of wishlists along the way.

ikazrima, Billy4184 and Antypodish like this.
  42. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's not just a matter of having or not having a trailer. The quality and content of the trailer itself is also important.

Do the same thing with your trailer as you're doing with the page itself. Put something up there, then ask for feedback on it and iterate on it. Or do some split testing (put up different trailers and see how it impacts conversions).

frosted likes this.
  43. frosted

frosted

Yeah, to be honest, I am struggling with this question. There's no real immediate need for a launch. We could hold it off indefinitely.

Originally, we planned for this to be a very short turnaround project (6 weeks). It's closing in on 3 months but we only really got the store page together a bit over a week ago.

I know that @BIGTIMEMASTER favors continuing to polish and launching as strong as possible. I'm more in favor of starting on the next game and getting that up and running. Either way, we definitely need to make a final decision soon!

44. Antypodish

Antypodish

I would say, consider your first release, as business card.

First release quality will reflect, how next release will be perceived by others, expecting similar, or better quality.
    I would utilize here gained respect as much, as feasible, to improve product, since you got guys something of good quality. You spent tons of good effort on models, game and mechanics. Make sure, front page stand up to quality as well. Otherwise, you may loose selling potential.
    This is also good learning exercise, which you can transfer to future products.

I expect, at least just after release, your attention will be much divided, between game release, players feedback, and trying to produce new game. Something to consider ...

Ony and frosted like this.
  45. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I think it's a pretty ok trailer, shows of your visual style. Maybe try to focus more on the few first seconds of the trialer, it's here you catch the player attention or lose it. As an example in our trailer we focus the first few seconds on our item interaction since it sticks out compared with other shooters.

frosted likes this.
  46. frosted

frosted

I love seconds 7-20 of your trailer. Manipulating the attachments and stuff is just sick.

ShilohGames and AndersMalmgren like this.
  47. Billy4184

Billy4184

I totally agree with @angrypenguin, you're in a position now where you are building up a lot of potential and it's all in your control, and you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by focusing on building momentum now.

As for the trailer, I think there's a lot to improve.
    • Sound effects and VFX! The music is okay for a background sound but that's where it belongs. We need to see and hear the rewards of winning your game! I was watching a GDC talk about Into The Breach, their trailer seems exactly the kind of thing your game needs, it's non-stop cool SFX.
    • Don't repeat camera angles so quickly. It was cool in the beginning when you had a panning shot and then a close-up gameplay shot, but then you went back to panning exactly the same angle which killed the tension for me.
    • Consider interludes with some exciting phrases to break up all the camera shots.
    • The trailer just kind of stopped at some point.
    Anyway, great work you guys, looking forward to seeing how this pans out!

angrypenguin, Antypodish and frosted like this.
  48. Antypodish

Antypodish

I watched the trailer just now on desktop (few times). Didn't want to watch on mobile, to get wrong impression :)
    So definitely it shows some gameplay, which is good.
    But my feeling is, it is very jumpy alike. I take impression, it takes far too short for each scene to show. Cutting off in wrong moments. For example, at T0:20, when destroying enemy, debris didn't finish falling sequence, before switch to next scene. Maybe least important, but somehow leaving me unsatisfied to watch. I think need just few sec longer sequences. Bit more of gameplay.

And probably some form of headlines, i.e.
    Immersive battles, campaign, satiric (show where? Highlight on vid.), hunt for enemy, conquer, mythological units (highlight moment) etc. Maybe worth to show gameplay as mythical nation, rather than human nation. We are all familiar with peasants and cavalry.

But for example @BIGTIMEMASTER avatar / unit

Very easy to miss in short sequence. And that something potentially interesting.
    upload_2019-7-14_15-9-48.png

I haven't noticed any mythical units, until I rewatched video few times, and actually put on full screen. Simply too fast changing scenes.

I am still not convinced, about used such intensive color filters, where many things become one blob, specialty visible on smaller screens.
    upload_2019-7-14_14-51-42.png

upload_2019-7-14_14-52-24.png

Attached Files:

frosted likes this.
  49. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

+1 to all. Too tired to actually click all the individual like buttons.

The trailer we do intend to improve upon. But its very time consuming so we wanted to get something up there at least in the meantime. We are also gonna do a "developer let's play" type of thing, probably get that up on monday.

About holding off release, this is something that we have several plans for, we just gonna watch the weather so to speak and figure out which course of action will be best for us, all things considered.

About the high-saturation colors @Antypodish , that is not from post but just the way I did the lighting on certain levels. Because all of our environments are built from a very small kit, the only way to get strong variety was to use pretty extreme lighting. It does make for tough screenshots, but when you play the game everything is pretty clear and we even got some special effects to aid you in darker missions.

The better thing to do would be have more range of enviro stuffs and color palettes, but such is life. Lessons learned for future projects.

pcg likes this.
  50. Antypodish

Antypodish

Sure, I get the point. Fact is in action may look different. But colors in worse case scenario, can be fixed later.