Search Unity

Critical memory leak in 5.6.0 (p4) crashing Unity all the time

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HaakonL, May 12, 2017.

1. HaakonL

HaakonL

Hi,

basically, selecting a bunch of objects in the hierarchy skyrockets the RAM usage. In our case, we have a scene with a lot of objects that are duplicates, and thus they share the same name. By entering the shared name in the search box in the hierarchy, I get a list of, say, 400 objects.

When I start navigating those 400 objects using the keyboard arrows, it takes just 5-10 seconds to completely use up my computer RAM.

Check out this short video that shows the problem in detail

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filed a bug report?

3. HaakonL

HaakonL

Case 910464. Just don't have any good experience with filing bugs, checking my reported list of bugs and out of 12 bugs reported, 8 are still open. Makes it kind of meaningless to report bugs, I think.

Zenix, karl_jones and MrEsquire like this.
  4. HaakonL

HaakonL

Hey, I rolled back to 5.6.0p1 and the issue is gone. Not sure if it was introduced in p2, p3 or p4, but then at least it is confirmed this is a unity editor related bug.

You should probably get someone to withdraw the patch, or get a new patch out immediately. This is a really ugly bug, surprised it was not caught by your QA. ;)

5. HaakonL

HaakonL

I took on the task to test the p3 patch as well, and it works great. The memory leak bug was shipped with 5.6.0p4. Hope you get it sorted quickly.

6. Teejay5

Teejay5

I'm getting the same issue in 5.6 p4! Happens whenever I search anything in the project.

MrEsquire likes this.
  7. HaakonL

HaakonL

Comment on the bug report as well, or create a new case. They are a bit slow over at Unity, need to hear it from more people ;)

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I think issue is still in Unity 5.6.1 final release

9. msklywenn

msklywenn

10. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I have escalated it with QA. If you run the profiler in editor mode does it detect the leak, where does it show it coming from?
    Does this happen in an empty project? I could not get it to recreate.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  11. msklywenn

msklywenn

Nothing shows up in the profiler. In my case, I thought it was because I was scrubbing through the search results but I just noticed that it's only the fact of having something searching that makes it go crazy. So I just have to enter "t:enemy" so that ~200 hundreds result show up and just sit there watching the memory increase (~1GB/s)

12. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its ok. Our QA managed to recreate it and tracked it down to something in the preview window.

Teejay5 likes this.
  13. acriticalstrike

acriticalstrike

I can report the exact same problem in Unity 5.6.1f1. I find myself refraining from using the search tool. PLEASE FIX ASAP, I HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO FOLKS!

:)

14. msklywenn

msklywenn

5.6.1p1 too, fingers crossed for p2 !

15. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The fix is in 5.6.1p2.

16. msklywenn

msklywenn

\o/
    The great Karl strikes again!

karl_jones likes this.
  17. BIgTaleAdmin

BIgTaleAdmin

Any release date for p2? Is the patch in 5.6.3 or 2017?

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

P2 was out in May. The fix is in both of 5.6.3 and 2017.

19. Radiangames2

Radiangames2

This memory leak is back in 5.6.3p1. We've noticed a separate memory leak in 5.6.3p1 that we've been unable to pinpoint (seems random), but I searched for Unity 5.6 memory leak, stumbled upon this thread, and was able to reproduce the out-of-control-memory-leak twice within a few minutes. Just did a search in the project tree, scrolled down in the list, and memory usage shot up constantly (100+ MB per second). I'll file a bug right now.

20. Radiangames2

Radiangames2

I tried a third time with a smaller scene loaded and it didn't happen. So I guess it's just the random leak being triggered. Will try to narrow it down more before sending in a bug report. Either way: 5.6.3p3 also has the leak on our project. Still no idea exactly what causes it.

21. Bloody-Swamp

Bloody-Swamp

Still in 5.6.3p4...