Search Unity

[Critical Bug]: FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by marserMD, Jun 20, 2018.

1. marserMD

marserMD

This is what I get when trying to animate object's position:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    2. System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    3. System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    4. System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.Timeline.TimelineRecording.GetCurrentPositionAndRotation (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] mods, UnityEngine.Vector3& position, UnityEngine.Quaternion& rotation) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Timeline/Editor/Recording/TimelineRecording_Monobehaviour.cs:524)
    6. UnityEditor.Timeline.TimelineRecording.RemoveOffsets (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification modification, UnityEngine.Timeline.AnimationTrack track, UnityEngine.Timeline.TimelineClip clip, UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] mods) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Timeline/Editor/Recording/TimelineRecording_Monobehaviour.cs:381)
    7. UnityEditor.Timeline.TimelineRecording.ProcessMonoBehaviourModification (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] modifications, UnityEditor.Timeline.WindowState state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Timeline/Editor/Recording/TimelineRecording_Monobehaviour.cs:114)
    8. UnityEditor.Timeline.TimelineRecording.ProcessUndoModification (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] modifications, UnityEditor.Timeline.WindowState state) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Timeline/Editor/Recording/TimelineRecording.cs:19)
    9. UnityEditor.Timeline.TimelineWindow.PostprocessAnimationRecordingModifications (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] modifications) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Timeline/Editor/Window/TimelineWindow_EditorCallbacks.cs:105)
    10. UnityEditor.Undo.InvokePostprocessModifications (UnityEditor.UndoPropertyModification[] modifications) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/bindings_old/common/Editor/UndoBindings.gen.cs:196)
    upload_2018-6-20_17-42-9.png
    After this, the animation doesn't record and the timeline might even refuse to record any further animations (not sure about the conditions for that)

Environment:
    - Windows 7 (tried both with ',' and '.' decimal separator)
    - Unity 2018.1.2f1
    - .net 4.x (important! on 3.5 everything seems to work)
    - Cinemachine 2.2.0 from the package manager

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Setup the environment as described above
    2. Create a scene.
    3. Create a timeline on an empty game object.
    4. Create a cube, set it's position to (1, 0, 0) (important! Everything seems to work correctly with position (0, 0, 0)
    5. Drag that cube on the timeline, select animation track
    6. Press the record button
    7. Lock the timeline window
    8. Try to move the cube along one the x-axes
    9. Observe the error and failure to record that keyframe

Steps to reproduce in the attached project:
    1. Open Scenes/SampleScene
    2. Click on the "GameObject"
    3. Lock the timeline window
    4. Press record button for "Sphere"
    5. Select "Sphere"
    6. Move sphere along the x-axes
    7. Observe the error and failure to record that keyframe

What do I think is faulty?
    I can't help but notice that you use:
    float.Parse(serializedValue)

While Unity always uses:
    float.TryParse(serializedValue, NumberStyles.Float, System.Globalization.CultureInfo.InvariantCulture.NumberFormat, out result);

And using the right NumberFormat is a very important thing when it comes to [de]serializing floats. So even it is not the source of the problem, I suggest you take advantage of that.

Attached Files:

2. marserMD

marserMD

Also reported bug Case 1051325.
    Because I'm not sure whether I should report it to Unity or here on forum:)

3. marserMD

marserMD

Also, there is a Unity Crash that occurs when adding a keyframe to the timeline. Please note that it is also related to NumberFormat.
    Attaching editor log and a screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report! I like it when the bug reports also contain the fix ;)

We'll get it addressed asap.

marserMD likes this.
  5. sanya_kotov

sanya_kotov

Get the same error when just try record animation in timeline window. Animation not records.
    Unity 2018.2

6. Fishing_Cactus

Fishing_Cactus

Do you have some news about this bug?

7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

The fix is currently in QA. With luck it will be in a release soon.

marserMD likes this.
  8. Fishing_Cactus

Fishing_Cactus

Thanks for your reply.