Search Unity

Assets Critias Vegetation System [Asset Store]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Assembler-Maze, Sep 14, 2017.

1. mzylak

mzylak

We are using SpeedTree

2. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Does the issue happen only when you are loading from the asset bundle or always?

3. mzylak

mzylak

I found the issue. The problem was that instances of trees used for wind were on a different layer than that set in foliage render

Assembler-Maze likes this.
  4. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Ok, good that you managed to pinpoint it out. I asked some questions to find the cause of the most common problems, but if you managed to fix it it's awesome!

If there is anything else you can find me here anytime.

5. Danua

Danua

Hello we just bought your asset and when we try convert our trees to your system we get this error?

Found error for foliage: birch_1! Could not add to system!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliageLog:e(String) (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Foliage.cs:53)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliageUtilitiesEditor:ConfigurePrefab(GameObject, FoliageTypeBuilder&, Boolean&) (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliageUtilitiesEditor.cs:204)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor:AddFoliageType(GameObject) (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:1110)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor:InspectorDragDrop() (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:969)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor:InspectorFoliageTypes() (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:696)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:160)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

we are using custom trees, that include 2 renderers a every lods.

6. Danua

Danua

also it throw errors every where.
    ArgumentException: Getting control 6's position in a group with only 6 controls when doing MouseDown
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/LayoutGroup.cs:115)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (Single minWidth, Single maxWidth, Single minHeight, Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:454)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (Single width, Single height) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:422)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Space () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7682)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor.InspectorFoliageInfo () (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:608)
    CritiasFoliage.FoliagePainterEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/CritiasFoliage/Code/Editor/FoliagePainterEditor.cs:164)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1245)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

when i simply click by foliage icons

7. Danua

Danua

used unity version 2017.3.0p1

8. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hello!

The second error is harmless, don't worry about it! The first might be related to some other error text maybe? Does the log output anything else?

9. Danua

Danua

I'm guess, the error related to multiple LODs renderer. i have separated leaves and barks renderer for each trees
    birchLeaves1_LOD0
    birchBark1_LOD0
    birchLeaves1_LOD1
    birchBark1_LOD1

When, I mergedown renderers to one meshrenderer it's looks okey.
    Please fix this problem.
    because convert 100 trees by hand it's just madness.

10. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Yes, noted! If it is not a problem, could I have one of those trees to work on?

11. Danua

Danua

Wrote in PM

12. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

Unfortunately, Critias Foliage System is no longer available.

???

halecc likes this.
  13. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hello!

Due to some difficulties, I've removed the paid version of the system from the market, it is deprecated. However people who had the version can still access/download it and I'll also provide support indefinitely for people with bugs.

If that does not suffice, I can offer a refund.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  14. Danua

Danua

Does you provide to old's asset customer new version of the asset?

15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Will the version that we purchased be re-launched in a few weeks or a new asset that will have to be bought separately?

16. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Even if the project was removed, I'll still offer support indefinitely.

17. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

If you made a purchase, I can offer a refund that is no problem.
    Regards!

18. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

i bought the asset a couple months ago and never had the chance to fully implement it on my project, but ill not ask for a refund just to support you.
    I would like to know though, whats the reason behind the decision of making it free for everyone.

19. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

is it possible to update the painted prefabs positions at runtime? so like if i wanted the grass to move with an object it was painted on at runtime

20. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hello,

This feature is not available at the moment. There are some engines out there (take Heaven's Benchmark from Unigine) that support it, and I've thought at it, however they are simply batching the meshes using vertex attributes resulting in a larger external mesh that can be offset-ed very easily at runtime just like any other mesh.

But having such a feature implies a different kind of approach and I am afraid that my instancing system, as it is designed right now would not support it, and even if it would support it it would create a ton of limitations that nobody would be happy with, I am sure of that. I 'could' think at some 'local foliage volumes' that are build as an extension to my system, but depending on the case I'd only use the standard unity meshes and I guess I'd batch them together...

Could I have some idea on what are you trying to achieve? Maybe I can point you in the right direction using a work-around, since I've heard some requests in the past that some people 'thought' might solve their problem when it would have indeed complicate it :)

21. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

I see this has been removed from the store.

You're dropping the asset or preparing a new updated one?

22. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Nope, I'm not dropping the asset, for everyone that bought it, support for bugfixing is still unlimited.

TooManySugar likes this.
  23. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

So you're not putting it back up on the Asset Store? I bought Critias Tree System but didn't get the information that it had changed to Foliage. :(

24. Vanidash-Studios

Vanidash-Studios

he already told a couple of post above that he is going to re submit it to the asset store... please, take some time and read the post above

25. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

so the idea is to have ground breaking and falling away, think floating islands and they break into pieces and fall away in stages, so the grass would either need to turn off or ideally fall with the island as well

26. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hello,

'Critias Tree System' was free, I never charged for it. Only 'Critias Foliage System' was paid, and it was a combination of both 'Tree' and 'Grass' systems put together.

27. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

I see. One more question before I can give an advice, how many islands you have and how big would an island be? In sq meters.

28. Obsurveyor

Obsurveyor

Sorry, must have been thinking of a different asset. :)

29. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

so biggest island would be 1k meters, smallest 250m, and around 6 islands

30. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Yes, I am afraid that a 1km exploding island is quite big. Even in the 'Heavens' demo from Unigine the islands were smaller. I think that you will need some island local - mesh merged vegetation or you could try to remove mine from the system at runtime, hoewver it is currently not supported.

31. Teosis

Teosis

Good day! I've noticed that your foliage system became free. Could you please clarify a couple of points?
    1. Is it the same feature-complete asset as the one it was before becoming free?
    2. Is it worth using the system (performance-wise) in case I have, say, only around 2000 grass patches on screen ? Will I still benefit from it? (By which I mean: I've read that Critias shines the most with really high amount of grass, but will it help boost performance with a more moderate amount of it?)
    3. Does the asset becoming free in the wake of the Unity 2018 release mean the asset won't be updated in case some incompatibilities show up further down the unity-updates road and/or it might be incompatible with 2018.1.?
    4. Are there any plans for a similar paid projects from you? What does future hold for us in this regard?:)

32. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

1. It is about the same
    2. Depends on the total count too, not only 'on screen'. It can be usefull, yes
    3. No
    4. No

Teosis likes this.
  33. Teosis

Teosis

Thank you for clarification, much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Assembler-Maze likes this.
  34. friuns3

friuns3

asset store link is dead

Do you have any advantages against Vegetation Studio?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  35. mattis89

mattis89

against? :D

36. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

Hello,

Sorry, but due to the aforementioned issues, the system is at the moment suspended.

VStudio has many advantages over my system, that mostly come from the usability point of view. For the performance part, I am not sure, someone (that posted here some time ago) who benchmarked my system against the others said mine was the fastest.

I think this was the post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/critias-foliage-system-asset-store.495424/page-7#post-3326764

37. coverpage

coverpage

I like critias a lot because you get to paint the grass. Hope you consider putting it back online

38. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

After a quick re-iteration of the new version of unity the system is back online here!

I'll see in the future for adding it to the asset store, but I think it is not vital at the moment.

Flurgle and No0B25 like this.
  39. friuns3

friuns3

40. Assembler-Maze

Assembler-Maze

41. Tecozz

Tecozz

This is so great!, is working pretty good for me. Thank you for sharing this

PutridEx likes this.