Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Crisis At Alpha Centauri

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by wbokunic, Dec 26, 2010.

1. wbokunic

wbokunic

So for the past few days I've been working on an Atari-like side scroller with some modern convictions (particle systems for example). It's nothing too advanced, but I'm having fun making it and might dedicate full-time to finishing it. As such I need thoughts on how the current game is, and how I can improve it. I know that it does lack music though.

So, if you're interested, click the below picture to launch the webplayer game.

*Removed*

UPDATE [12/29/10]:
    - The game received a colorful graphical overhaul to visually enhance the scenery.
    - Added a fifth level.
    - Added coins, which don't have any overall purpose yet until later in the game.
    - Added an options menu [Note - only affects stand alone client]
    - Hitting "ESC" in-game will send you back to the main menu. Hitting it in the main menu displays a quit dialogue window
    - Added the ability to change direction mid-air.
    - Added the ability to skip all cut-scenes by pressing "Enter" twice.
    - Fixed bugs.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

your spelling for cutscenes is really bad...

3. wbokunic

wbokunic

Are you talking about the random capital letters (which, in my honest opinion, are pretty obviously intentional)? I was trying to go for a somewhat robotic-tone to things, as this isn't a person instructing you on what to do. It's meant to be an automated voice system. As such, if you were to take any voice synthesizer out right now, it'd probably tend to emphasize random parts of words. That's what I was going for, but if no one ever catches on to that naturally, I'll just drop it.

4. Quietus2

Quietus2

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the actually spelling and not the random capitalization.

5. wbokunic

wbokunic

Here is the dialogue directly copy/pasted from the game, then converted to lower-case so you can put them in any word editor and see that the only wrong word is "metanetrons", which I made up.

So, if it truly is showing up wrong for you, I have no clue why. The only thing I can think of is that I compiled this on Windows and you're on Macs. I'll have to test this on my Macbook Pro just to see.

Edit: Yep, it's doing this on my Macbook Pro. Very weird bug. I wonder if it does the same thing if I make the game stand-alone and not browser-based.

Edit x2: Still happens with the stand alone. That is the weirdest thing x.x I guess if I ever want to release this for OS X, I'll need to compile the game on OS X.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  6. Borealis

Borealis

Works fine on this computer. Windows XP, if it's any help.

7. Quietus2

Quietus2

Yes I'm using a MacBook Pro.

A teletype label script is a fairly basic thing, unless you're doing it in a funky way instead of appending to a single label. Without knowing your implementation details I haven't a clue why there would be a platform difference.

Perhaps you found a bug!

8. Jay_Adams

Jay_Adams

Fine on Win7

9. wbokunic

wbokunic

Well, aside from that 1 issue, what do you all think of the gameplay, art style, etc?

10. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

Good and fun!! if you don't mind, how did you accomplish the teletype?

11. wbokunic

wbokunic

I used a looping array, set to add +1 letter every 0.1 seconds.

What I used is a bit more complex than that (as mine checks when the sentence is done being written, then executes another command), but that's the basis of it.

12. TheCowMan

TheCowMan

So how do you set the text from script? I've been trying but couldn't get it. i'm trying to make a 3d texture change, but from script...

13. wbokunic

wbokunic

I used GUI Text, and set the value of it to be displayedword.

14. Benopaluz

Benopaluz

no i ment the spelling is horrible, seriously look at it i couldnt even read the damn thing.

15. KITT

KITT

Umm, your capitalization in this quote is less than perfect.

16. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

Off-topic (since I know this thread is about your spelling): I like the game, very challenging. Took me a bit to realize that the bombs pushed you not only up and down by side to side...only made it to the fourth level. Gave up about about six tries...that stupid third bomb jump is tricky!

I found it a bit frustrating that there's no character control when you're jumping, really makes it tough, but I guess that's what you're going for. Graphics are nice and moody.

On-topic: So many text errors ;)

17. wbokunic

wbokunic

You aren't off topic! The text issue is the result of a weird bug for Unity OS X. If you have a spare Windows machine lying around, launch the game up in it. You'll see the text display properly.

Anyhow, the fourth level is currently the last level. It's meant to further reinforce the bomb jumps and teach the player how to utilize them better. I've considered giving the player control of their direction mid-flight, but I wanted to emphasize using the bombs skillfully to make the jump.

18. wbokunic

wbokunic

Alright, I think the issue was due to (A) the font size, (B) the line spacing. I decreased the font size of the text from 16 pts to 14pts, loaded up the player on my Macbook Pro and the issue seems to no longer occur. Can anyone else verify this?

19. wbokunic

wbokunic

I'm currently working on a new build for you guys to help me test. Here's a few screenshots of the update:

(Sorry for the poor quality, Fraps doesn't like non-standard resolutions, the default resolution is 1024x578)

20. wbokunic

wbokunic

I've updated the Webplayer. Check it out!

21. bgivenb

bgivenb

The gameplay is really fun. I had a good time with it.

22. Iron-Warrior

Iron-Warrior

I like the improved backdrops, they manage to keep the mood while being more colorful, as well as the added character control. I still think the character feels a little stiff--you can't accelerate if you jump while standing still, for example.

23. PolyMad

PolyMad

Played to the red level then got bored out... too difficult to catch the right moment... I mean, not at the third map, it's too early for such difficult level!

24. wbokunic

wbokunic

The third level isn't difficult at all. You can't even die on it... The main mechanic in the game is grenade jumping, so the player needs to be taught it eventually. Sooner better than later.

I tried, I really did, but I couldn't overcome an issue. I'm using a rigidbody character controller, and when I let the player accelerate in-air, he could latch onto walls and climb up them. I couldn't find a way to fix this. I tried for a long time as well. I even had trouble adding the current control. All I was able to do was reverse the 'x' velocity of the character, without adding any more.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010