Search Unity

CREST - Open Source Unity Ocean Renderer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesArndt, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Yes but i dont want a reflection, I want the surface of the mesh lit via the shader with both point and spot lights.

It should be possible for them to implement this because the ocean surface is physical with a material and surface shader.

Using a reflection isnt good enough nor is it realistic enough. I want the ocean to be lit by things such as a light house light as well as lights on the boats such as headlamps and lighting around the boats exterior.

I'm going to post something pretty soon that is going to blow your mind ;).

Within the next few days. What I will post will be one of the coolest things you have seen using this asset.

2. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

It's a shame this wasn't made with shader graph or amplify - then I would probably be able to add the lighting in myself.

Unfortunately my skill with editing shaders manually isn't up to par for a task like this with a shader this complex.

Eh Im going to see if I can dig into their surface shader and see what I can come up with. Honestly it shouldn't be to difficult to implement basic light support for point lights on the foam as well as the surface.

Honestly not sure why they didn't think of this when they made the shader.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Well I now know for a fact it is possible, I have it working with lights hitting the surface by modifying the shader, now the only issue is its only rendering where the light is hitting the surface.

This is probably going to take me abit but by golly, Im going to figure it out.

4. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Well... shucks.

This ocean system is using a Frag/Vert shader. So I am doing some research into how to add a lighting model to it.

https://www.alanzucconi.com/2015/07/01/vertex-and-fragment-shaders-in-unity3d/

Vincent454 likes this.
  5. blogsabout

blogsabout

Have anyone experienced that your ocean turns pink when opening the file after it has been closed down?
    It was looking so gorgeous and I can see the settings are the same and enabled...but now pink?

6. JohnRidgway

JohnRidgway

Does anyone know how I can switch out custom OceanWaveSpectrums on the fly while it's running, no matter what I do I can't seem to find the right context to alter the _spectrum value during runtime in the Gerstner script.

7. herolang

herolang

tks to author,its great for my study.

8. mcyber4

mcyber4

Great! But why is the build looking different than in the editor? What did I forget? Thanks

9. Rayeloy

Rayeloy

Hi, I'm using this incredible asset, but I need the player to float on the sea waves realistically. To do this, I know I could just add a SimpleFloatingObject and a rigidbody, but I'm using my own custom character controller, physics and collisions, so I wanted to get the current water height at the player position to move the character to that y position. I don't need x and z displacement. Does anyone know where can I get this water height from?

10. mcyber4

mcyber4

How to view definitions etc. in visual studio?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there.

We're going to use this awesome asset in our project, but we've faces with an issue. Seems lifetime of the boat tail foam in general is the same as the ocean waves'. Have anyone tried to create longer tail waves (e.g. for tankers, cargos).

Thanks in advance.

12. mcyber4

mcyber4

With Vulkan the underwater view is not always correct. Thanks for a fix.
    How to add the ocean material to a mesh?
    Thanks

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    JamesArndt likes this.
  13. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

i got 2 question...
    1. will this work with oculus quest?
    2. how do i make a tidal/tsunami wave since u can make a vacumn funnel shape?

14. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I just started using Crest with legacy render pipeline (meaning no scriptable render pipelines) in Unity 2019.3.2f1
    And I got some questions:
    1. The underwater camera doesn't seem to work correctly. I've used the Ocean-Underwater material for the ocean renderer, and added the underwater curtain geom gameobject and the underwater meniscus gameobject under my main camera:
    upload_2020-7-6_15-2-46.png

But there is no underwater effect when camera gets under the water surface:
    upload_2020-7-6_15-3-30.png

And the Ocean_UnderwaterCurtain material is pink:
    upload_2020-7-6_15-3-57.png

This issue will go away if I manually click the Compile shader with debug info(D3D11) in editor, but I can't let players do that at runtime, so really need to know how to fix it.

2. I noticed the water is not interactive with directional light, when I rotate the light to facing upwards or shut down the light, the water still looks the same, I have day-night cycle in my game so how does Crest achieve day-night visual cycling?

15. Susihiisi

Susihiisi

Meow. I wonder if I can easily make smaller water plane like river or lake with Crest? I would have the ocean at certain level, then ponds. lakes and rivers in higher ground. Can I do that or do I need to find other solution for those or have everything water related at sea level?

16. MGreenberg

MGreenberg

Hi , I just purchased Crest water..... can the underwater volume opacity / fog be decreased. I need to reveal more of the submarine in the water and its just sooo cloudy.
    Also is there a way to edit where the water darkens via depth? Any help appreciated - cheers.

17. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

18. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

yea, I know, the underwater options are limited. Underwater there was only one who succeeded for me in caustics and diversity of visual options is DCG Water. Sadly it wasn't updated since 2018. I bought it with flaws and it works only in standard render pipeline.

19. GTG101

GTG101

If you ever figure out how the tsunami is happening tell me how to make it happen in my project

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.