Search Unity

Creo 2.0 / Pro Engineer and Unity - .OBJ and .MTL file creation and importation

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by UTENSILE, Nov 13, 2017.

1. UTENSILE

UTENSILE

Hello Unity Community,

My goal is to export 3D models from Creo and import them into Unity. I can get models to import beautifully but I can't figure out how to get designated colors to transfer.

I've read quite a bit about .OBJ files (a file type that I rarely use as a mechanical engineer). As described by many, many posts, an .MTL file is magically exported with each .OBJ file from Creo. I have tried dragging both of these files (with the same name) into my "Assets" folder in Unity at the same time. Once, and only once, I was able to get colors to come in. I just cannot find any rhyme or reason. I swear sometimes the models I color in Creo import as a bunch of individual facets instead of faceted "bodies".

Has anyone successfully imported colored .OBJ files from a Creo export? If so, what is your workflow? Any known limitations or tricks or tips?

Thanks so much!

2. hammer

hammer

What do you mean by "colors" ? Vertex colors, material colors, etc...?

.OBj files don't natively support vertex colors.

3. IsDon

IsDon

Yep - as @hammer said, try applying proper Materials to surfaces before export, and I think there's some options for changing objects between Surface, Solid mode etc in Creo that will probably make a difference before exporting. (Write down what works when you find it)