Search Unity

Creepy Feeling

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pikachu, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pikachu

pikachu

I somehow have the feeling that there is something wrong with the build version that I am using. I am missing the "bumpiness" slider when using a bump shader.

Also, the bump shader doesn't seem to do anything other than to mutiply or divide the diffuse and bumpmap texture.

I have a dual 2.7 with 8Gb and a GeForce 6800 Ultra with 256 MB. I am pretty sure that my card supports a little bump map. :)

2. Richard_B

Richard_B

The bumpiness is determined when you import the texture. In the Project View select the texture you are using for your bump map then click settings button (at the top of the Project View panel) and at the bottom of the panel that pops up is the bumpiness settings.

Richard.

3. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

The bump shader does not have a bumpyness slider. It is defined in the import settings for your grayscale bumpmap texture.

Take a look at the docs at http://www.otee.dk/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-bumpmap.html for a small walkthrough on how to use the bumpmapping.

Also, bumps are much more visible when you use the BumpSpecular shader - The only gotcha to be aware of there is that the alpha channel of your diffuse texture controls the specular amount. You can see the alpha channel in the texture inspector.

4. pikachu

pikachu

Great! Thank you.

Another small question... many of the screenshots that I have seen in tutorials and docs show "blender like" layer buttons in the top portion of the inspector. As you can guess, I don't have them.

Is that normal?

Kind regards
    Reda Borchardt

5. NicholasFrancis

NicholasFrancis

Those buttons have been phased out and replaced by the layer drop-down.

Having multiple layers per objects was a sure way to shoot yourself in the foot (I did several times ; ) so we decided against it...

6. pikachu

pikachu

Thanks for the answer