Search Unity

Official Creator Kit: RPG

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Woolley_Kat, Jul 3, 2019.

1. justinmatthew419

justinmatthew419

I have encountered a situation that has prevented me from moving any further in the tutorial I followed the guide to a T; however, once I made it to the first dialogue section of the tutorial, and giving the NPC the "Greetings, Traveler!" dialogue once I go into play mode and go see if the dialogue is working there is no dialogue at all. I included a screenshot to see if maybe I happened to mess something up and someone could possibly point me in the right direction, Thanks in advance!
    upload_2020-7-8_10-47-21.png

2. DeCloudius

DeCloudius

hey jon, can you help me with mine, i wanna do the same but it doesn't seems to work
    if you saw this, please contact me at umairbijey@gmail.com

3. Jon_Brant

Jon_Brant

That was a year ago, tomorrow, actually. I don't remember what I did.

I ended up just using Fungus, it's free on the asset store and very easy to work with. I suggest doing the same

4. xh_mango

xh_mango

Hi. I am having trouble with the conversation script. I created the two branches in conversation script item #1. However, when I played the game, only the text in the first option box is showing. It showed the second option box as empty. I am wondering if anyone encountered the same issue before? Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. MCDForm

MCDForm

Hello,

In Unity Hub there is no option to "download" only "view tutorial" which takes me back to the website tutorial. I've tried downloading the Assets from the unity store and following the tutorial that way but have been receiving "Toolbar Popup" errors. Any help?

6. RodneyP102

RodneyP102

Are you able to use custom artwork with this kit?

7. janjoeljanjoel

janjoeljanjoel

can someone tell me how they made this work? Im getting 999+ error with this asset

8. Nagilo

Nagilo

Hi i am new and learning the Creator Kit RPG and my Chicken doesnt appear as a reward when i collect the Golden Apple. I tryed every step 5 times. Maybe its too late and i did 5 times the same failure. Can you plz help me?

upload_2020-8-23_3-53-12.png

9. Valjuin

Valjuin

upload_2020-8-23_18-46-26.png

10. cardcastleusa

cardcastleusa

There is a bug within the design of the InstanceTracker<T> class. Looking over the code before going into the pattern with some students it does not seem to be removing the instances correctly. Note: Added comments were for the students.

Code (CSharp):
    1. protected virtual void OnDisable()
    2.         {
    3.             if (instanceIndex < Instances.Count)
    4.             {
    5.                 var end = Instances.Count - 1; //Locates the end of the array
    6.                 Instances[instanceIndex] = Instances[end]; //Swaps the end of the array with the location of the current instance.
    7.                 Instances.RemoveAt(end); // Removes the current instance from the list.
    8.             }
    9.         }
    The issue stems from the 'if' statement and not modifying the swapped 'instanceIndex'. To solve this could be done by a variety of ways, but some of them require refactoring multiple classes / adding additional information to the InstanceTracker class. The easiest I found was below.

The lists would be similar to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static List<InstanceTracker<T>> Instances { get; private set; } = new List<InstanceTracker<T>>();
    The problem with this would be retrieving the Generic Type when you wanted to call functions within it. This is the at the point where you might want to have a list referencing the Instance Trackers along with a List of the objects.

The overall Code would look similar to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class InstanceTracker<T> : MonoBehaviour where T : MonoBehaviour
    2. {
    4.     //All instances of the object that are within the Game Scene.
    5.     private static List<InstanceTracker<T>> _instanceTrackers = new List<InstanceTracker<T>>();
    6.     public static List<T> Instances { get; private set; } = new List<T>();
    7.     private int _instanceIndex = 0;
    10.     protected virtual void OnEnable()
    11.     {
    12.         _instanceIndex = Instances.Count;
    13.         Instances.Add(this as T);
    14.         _instanceTrackers.Add(this);
    15.     }
    18.     protected virtual void OnDisable()
    19.     {
    20.         DisableInstance();
    21.         int end = Instances.Count - 1;
    22.         _instanceTrackers[end]._instanceIndex = _instanceIndex;
    23.         _instanceTrackers[_instanceIndex] = _instanceTrackers[end];
    24.         Instances[_instanceIndex] = Instances[end];
    25.         Instances.RemoveAt(end);
    26.         _instanceTrackers.RemoveAt(end);
    27.     }
    29. }
    The code above would also allow for all other classes to not have the need to be refactored due to using the same variables but adding an additional list does add a bit of overhead.

Otherwise you could do without the additional list by returning the objects themselves by :

Code (CSharp):
    1.    public T GetInstanceObject()
    2.     {
    3.         return this as T;
    4.     }
    6.     public static List<T> GetInstanceObjects()
    7.     {
    8.         List<T> objList = new List<T>();
    9.         foreach(InstanceTracker<T> obj in Instances)
    10.         {
    11.             objList.Add(obj as T);
    12.         }
    13.         return objList;
    14.     }
    This is very poor coding and could lead to null references within the game that are not being handled. I am very surprised that this mistake is being shown in a beginner's tutorial.

11. tubelightboy

tubelightboy

The dialog Controller is also buggy. When you type in long statements, only the main dialog view changes its size dynamically and adapts to the text, but the options shrink...... and the font becomes too small to read. I saw that there was a function named "ScaleBackgroundToFitText()" in the DialogLayout Script but something similar is missing in the "SpriteButton" script.

12. slimgiltsoul

slimgiltsoul

I'm looking for resources about adapting the UI here. I've gone through the tutorials provided, and was able to follow the steps and get everything to work.

My problem: I can't for the life of my find how the dialogue system orients itself above the NPC the conversation is assigned to. My goal is to have it appear roughly where to message system comes up, centred, near the bottom of the screen.

I haven't had any success changing the positioning of the 'sprite' that you can optionally place in the message box either. I haven't found any comments in the various scripts yet to indicate how this is set.

I'm cross-referencing with the information in 'Ruby's Quest' tutorials, since they're a bit more comprehensive, but no success yet.

Edit: it was in 'ShowConversation.cs'

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    tubelightboy likes this.
  13. christpb2020

christpb2020

I'm just starting out. When my character is presented with the dialogue I can't select YES or NO. I tried return key, left click, everything. I'm on MacBook Pro.

ah ok I think I figured out you're not expected to click into yes or no. Do you simply select with arrow keys then get rid of dialogue box with space bar? If so, that wasn't really clear.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  14. Yorindeee

Yorindeee

Helloo,

Im doing this for the first time and it all went kinda good, but now i got double texts and I don' t know what I did and how I can fix this. Please help :(

Attached Files:

15. Zignotea

Zignotea

Hi guys, I do not know what I am doing wrong but I simply can not get the paint to work from the tilemap. I select the tile i want but when i click on the scene it simply does not do anything.
    I click on background under tilemaps, make sure that the active tilemap is set to background, then select the tile I want and click on a tile in the scene, but nothing happens. Is there something obvious I am missing?

16. LootHunter

LootHunter

I've downloaded the asset without any problems. Though, I've created an empty project in Unity Editor first.

17. LaceyCreations

LaceyCreations

How to you start the project tutorial? I clicked open project in the hub which opened the tutorial supposedly, but what I got was read the manual on how to do this and a black slate, I thought that it would actually tell me how to do something, or is it not a tutorial and I have to figure it out for myself, in which case I would have to look at something more for beginners.

18. Valjuin

Valjuin

Creator Kit: RPG - Unity Learn

19. stickylab

stickylab

im begginerr ,,h0wo to fix this please upload_2021-7-5_17-8-36.png

the sorting order is kinda confusing

20. Valjuin

Valjuin

upload_2021-7-5_15-14-8.png

tubelightboy likes this.
  21. stickylab

stickylab

I just found out that there is a comment menu there, the button is too small so I didn't notice it

22. AmitChBB

AmitChBB

Hi there, I have a small question about best practices.
    I see this creator kit does not use Unity's UI system at all, instead using Unity 2D and scripts to "emulate" UI behavior (such as anchoring and scaling). Is there a reason for this? Is it more performant, or easier, or simply best practice?

23. stickylab

stickylab

iwish there are enemy ai :(

24. sharmaakira44

sharmaakira44

Hii there...i m new to unity...can anyone tell how to change character in rpg kit

25. tubelightboy

tubelightboy

@sharmaakira44 You should be able to change the sprite. Check if you have sprites in your assets folder. If, yes, you can drag and drop it or you can replace your existing sprites.

26. CJ_DidThat

CJ_DidThat

This question was asked multiple times in this thread but got ignored everytime for some reason... Is there ANY WAY to customize the characters? Or even add your own custom tiles?

27. a52

a52

In addition to this -- I'm using this kit as a foundation for a simple game I'm making with friends. I was looking through the code and I'm a bit confused on something.

I noticed that this kit implements its own Event and Scheduler system, rather than using existent C# events or method calls? Is it purely to allow for delayed events? In that case, why not use coroutines? How should I interact with the system, and in what cases should I use it over the methods I just listed?

Thanks.

28. a52

a52

You can customize appearances by overwriting the existing images with new ones with the same name, or by editing the prefabs to use different images. The tutorial goes into good detail on how to use tiles and sprites (if not how to change them), and that should give you enough information to know what you need to change and how.

29. dbellemare5

dbellemare5

Having an issue with the UI. In scene mode, I can see the box where the dialogue would appear. I can move it around, resize, etc. My issue is, when my character contacts the NPC, I hear the beep, and my character won't move, so I know the dialogue was triggered.. but nothing is showing up. Can someone offer some advice please?

30. Valjuin

Valjuin

See this post (on page 1 of this thread): Unity Creator Kit: RPG and the one below it.

31. cooney_aj

cooney_aj

Anyone else having an issue where the storyitem zoom isn't working? I zoom in and a menu never pops up

32. bejaranoulysses

bejaranoulysses

The clouds won't move, any idea why. Is it common issue? the script has been added but the clouds are static.

33. mbadasti

mbadasti

I cant get past step 2 - after i import everything, it all goes pink

tried:
    reinstalling gpu drivers
    messing around with a couple of things in project settings / graphics - eg. Sriptable Render Pipeline Settings and Element 0 under video... confused

Edit: found a solution, instead of following the guide to create a new URP project and import assets, i just found the project through unity hub and created it from there. Seems like importing the assets has some conflict or doesnt overwrite some setting or something from the URP project that causes mayhem

Attached Files:

• wtf.PNG
      wtf.PNG
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  34. Shubhe_2323

Shubhe_2323

Can I use these Assets for commercial use??

35. Shubhe_2323

Shubhe_2323

These are pre loaded asset you have to delete these assets from Hierarchy

36. toohands

toohands

Having an issue with the conversation script
    I'm following the tutorial, i'm at part to add conversation
    the - button removes the original line of text from the npc
    the + button does nothing at all , no conversation script window or anything
    any ideas why this is acting this way ?
    thanks

37. toohands

toohands

I have figured out this issue
    turns out with a dual display setup
    the conversation script window would not appear
    turning off dual display has fixed this,

38. MCOldGeek

MCOldGeek

For anyone else wanting to use more lines for the story items, I updated the height on the sprite renderer in the MessageBar, and then updated the vertical alignment to center for the Text attached to the MessageBar, and this created a nicer display.

This message bar is used for other notifications, so don't make it to large :)

39. fonetic

fonetic

hello i have a problem where fadingsystem is not working after reloading the scene
    it shows this error
    upload_2022-6-30_1-52-2.png
    and the line 15 it reffers to is this
    upload_2022-6-30_1-52-43.png
    does anyone know how to fix this?

40. dpracer79

dpracer79

Looking for the same function as well. Any one figured this out yet? also any way to have a door open when an NPC quest is finished? or at the least a workable key/door system to add to this kit.

41. J4y_boi

J4y_boi

How do I make a cutscene, how do I implement mobile touch controls and how do I make a save and load function?