Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creative ways to hide the edge of the game world

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Bip901, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Bip901

Bip901

If your game world isn't infinite, you probably came across the edge-of-the-world issue:

How can you hide the edge of the world so players won't notice it?
    Here are some of the common ways I know.
    If you know other ways, please post them!
    • Fog - The most common way of hiding the edge. Cover the edges with fog and put an invisible collider there so the player won't be able to walk through.
    • Objects - If your scene takes place in an urban area, you can surround the area with buildings to hide the nothingness beyond them. Or, if your scene is in nature - a thick layer of trees and vegetation.
    • Pits - Surround the world with pits or canyons. The player will be able to fall into them, but this will cause him to respawn. A great use of this method can be found in the game Warframe.

2. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I don't know how they did it, I think it was some sort of procedural mirroring (I'm really guessing here) but you could look at HorizON on the Asset Store. I have not looked at it in a year or so, but I suspect it's still up there, and it's designed to do exactly what you're talking about: Limited game world and high enough vantage point that it reveals the edge of the world.

Fog has its limitations as it reacts in a funny manner with skyboxes unless you have some custom world coordinate depth fog.

Bip901 likes this.
  3. krisu

krisu

just make big barrier like in gothic-game, and put it in the scenario :cool:

4. Bip901

Bip901

Looks awesome!