Search Unity

Creating visual assets for games...where do I begin?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by thehappypeanut, Jul 11, 2020.

1. thehappypeanut

thehappypeanut

I am slowly moving through a Udemy course on Unity and C#. So far it's going well. It seems like in the beginning I'm going to have to either buy game assets or find free assets when it comes to game visuals (characters, buildings, nature, etc.) My eventual goal is to become familiar enough with creating those assets so that I can create some of them myself.

That's where I am a little confused. Do I need any tools besides Blender? Can my Apple Pencil + iPad help me at all in this arena (or is it even recommended to use a stylus)? And are there any good tutorials or courses on game asset creation?

I also sometimes have trouble figuring out why some people create some things inside Unity but other people create them outside of Unity in Blender? Is the animation (like running, swimming, waving, etc.) done in Blender, too?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

You need modeling software and 2d drawing software. Modeling for 3d, drawing software for 2d.

If iPad has pressure sensitivity, you could draw on it too.

It is a matter of preference, but if you're proficient with blender, you'll be much more efficient in blender than in unity.