Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating smooth fire graphics.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Reaven99, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Reaven99

Reaven99

Hello,

I am working on a first person game, and in the game will be multiple fires including torches.

And i was wondering what the best aproach would be to creating a smooth fire particle effect.
    I do have some fire sprite animations and such and i was also looking at Fluidity but that asset seems to be abandoned[which i hope it is not].

What aproaches do you use in these matters? animated sprites or something like fluids or something totally different?

I am looking forward to the replies!

2. vikankraft

vikankraft

I would use a procedural function (with pos and colour) to compute the fire in each frame, It would not look so artificial and not use much computing power.

3. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

I don't even think it needs to be that complex. What's most important is the color over time, usually you want a gradient that goes from color1 to color2 to black, where color1 and color2 are a bright fire color like red/yellow/orange. You'll also want it to fade out pretty much right as it turns black so it looks like ash. Shape isn't as important, but usually rotating curly sprites work well.

It's not mandatory, but adding a little blur goes a long way to make it look more real. Check out some fire from AAA games like Dark Souls.. the particles are usually pretty simple but the blur makes it convincing.

4. vikankraft

vikankraft

But its not (that) complex at all, and in addition you will get unique flames for each e.g. torch with low computational costs.

5. Reaven99

Reaven99

Do you happen to have a few examples on how to achieve such fire/flames?

Thanks in advance

regards

unityunity