Search Unity

Creating simple camera cuts without creating a bunch of virtual cameras

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by terrydif, Mar 21, 2018.

1. terrydif

terrydif

Hi!

I'm using timeline to create cutscenes for my game. I'm basically trying to have my camera cut instantly between different positions/rotations, but I'm hitting so many issues that I'm sort of banging my head against the wall here. Things that I've tried include:

1. Hand-animating a camera object, and using the "constant" keyframe interpolation mode to create hard cuts for position/rotation/FOV. This is my ideal method because it only requires one camera object. It almost works, but the cut is not smooth. Jitter is introduced because of incorrect subframe rotation sampling. Artifacts like this occur regardless of how I set my interpolation mode both on the keyframes and on the animation property in the Animation window. This feels like an actual bug.

2. Setting up virtual cameras in Cinemachine. While this technically works, this is a large, open-world game, with many cutscenes throughout, and it will be very inconvenient to litter my scene with dozens and dozens of virtual camera objects. Plus, my timeline playables are loaded and bound dynamically by scripts, so finding and binding a bunch of virtual cameras within the scene at runtime will be extremely inconvenient.

Is there a way I can achieve this?

Thanks
    -Terry

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

As for 1. if you can submit a bug with repro so we can see the exact issue, it would be would be helpful.

For 2, this actually seems like a great case to use Cinemachine. One suggestion would be to load prefabs with a playableDirector and a virtualCamera prebound instead of just loading the timeline. Not sure how feasible that would be in your project but it may alleviate some of the inconvenience.

3. terrydif

terrydif

The issue for 1. is documented. There are a few threads I found mentioning it, and an old bug report has existed for 3 years already, but was never addressed: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?689842_dc2pr2gql4dhl440

Changing over to using a prefab should work. I have to change my system around a little bit but I think it will work. Thank you!

4. Dvonio

Dvonio

Hello, I want to bump this, since I'm having this issue aswell.

It happens everytime, just add a camera, create a timeline, drag and drop the camera to the timeline and click on Add animation, Create two different camera positions and swap the tangets to Constant.

It always has 1 to 2 frames of blend that should not happen.

Please a fix would be appreciated :D

5. Dvonio

Dvonio

Please, any updates?

6. Dvonio

Dvonio

Any news? :D

7. Dvonio

Dvonio

Any update about this? it's still happening in 2018.2

radiantboy likes this.