Search Unity

Creating Project Folder Failed (Cannot load projects)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TomMakingGames, Apr 24, 2021.

1. TomMakingGames

TomMakingGames

Hello,
    I am a new user working with a fresh install of Unity on Windows 10. I've completed a basic microgame tutorial, closed it, and wish to load it again from the Unity Hub. However, every time I try it returns the error message "Creating Project Folder Failed".

After some googling I've attempted:
    1) Running Unity Hub as Administrator.
    2) Moving the project from its default (awful) install location into a folder in documents. After moving the folder I then used the "add" button to put it back in Unity Hub, and the location showed for the filepath updated.

However neither of these fixed the issue. As a first time user, lacking the ability to load any projects is not great, so I would appreciate any help in fixing this.

marczany and rocksaction like this.
  2. Hollow_Kn1ght

Hollow_Kn1ght

I have this exact same issue, but on a mac, I finally got unity to download after 2 hours and I was so glad, but then every time I try to create a project, it always says "Creating project folder failed!"
    I'm currently reporting it on the Unity bug reporter, as this has happened every time I try, but no one I know has experienced this issue before.

Attached Files:

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The things I would check first is if you have sufficient disk space for the project, and if you have proper permissions to the folder you are trying to put the project in. Unity can not fix either of those potential issues for you, and they are likely reasons for this kind of error.

As far as the OP, you said you already opened the project before. Unless you deleted the project afterwards, you just open the existing project again. You don't create a new project every time you want to revisit the same project.

4. Nitroglycerin-Ltd

Nitroglycerin-Ltd

I have the same problem. I have plenty of disk space, I have admin permissions, and so those are not the reasons for the error. No, I didn't try to create a new project, but open the existing one using Unity Hub. But that's just what the error message says.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 10.53.21.png Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 10.53.27.png

5. ELC2909

ELC2909

I also have the same problem. Is there any solution?

6. Fep310

Fep310

I just restarted Unity Hub and it worked for me.

7. Blam

Blam

I was getting the same error message when trying to create a new project. I eventually figured out I had left it pointed to a different folder the last time I was looking at something with Unity. Telling it to create the new project in the original location (under my username in the documents folder) got it working again. Idk if it's a permissions or a registry thing but at least it's functioning now.

8. D34thsw1tch

D34thsw1tch

What folders can it save to?

9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Anywhere you have permissions. But I always create a folder like C:\MyProjects\ and put all my Unity projects in there.

thdgo2236 likes this.
  10. Cocobean1

Cocobean1

i have the same problem

11. theNfan

theNfan

Killing all Unity-related processes in the task manager did the trick for me. A restart should have the same effect.

12. Ekulwashere

Ekulwashere

I couldnt create or load a project, windows is just a little bish, even running as admin. So I got mad and uninstalled all Unity (to reinstall). I have 2 drives, C and D. C, I try to keep for system junk, D is everything else, after multiple trials on both drives, run as admin even didnt work.. I have permission though, "I FNCKING OWN YOU!".

Anyway, what worked for me in the end, D: drive, created folder in there (Called Unity Saves). That was it.

NOTES: Im not actually sure if I had to reinstall, but at least its fresh and updated.

13. SSUnity15June

SSUnity15June

HELLO HELLO HELLO
    PLEASE PAY ATTENTION
    I also faced this problem ("Creating Project Folder Failed") many times & finally got the solution.
    Watch this Video

MrRadmir likes this.
  14. jacksonlbecker29_gmail_com

jacksonlbecker29_gmail_com

try other solutions first, but for me i uninstalled unity HUB and ran unity on its own. seemed to work for me

15. Marcolino101

Marcolino101

For me what fixed it was ending all Unity-related processes and reopening the Unity Hub.

16. jonathanfoote

jonathanfoote

Same here.

17. plaszlo

plaszlo

Updating to its requested version of the Unity Hub, helped me

18. DuchessB

DuchessB

Same thing happened to me .Here is the solution I got and its working now upload_2023-6-26_21-27-52.png go to settings in your unity and confirm the path for you selected for project is the same path for example D:\Computer\User\Project .Click on the circled dot to view in explorer .Then try creating a new project in unity editor

Then check to see that when you create a new project before you click create that the path corresponds with the above .check image upload_2023-6-26_21-27-52.png upload_2023-6-26_21-32-47.png upload_2023-6-26_21-27-52.png upload_2023-6-26_21-32-47.png 2 for reference .Hope it helped