Search Unity

Creating planet Earth for Oculus Rift

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by unwitty, Feb 4, 2015.

1. unwitty

unwitty

Hello,

I've made Earth in Unity by following this tutorial:

The planet looks great on my screen, but not so much when I bring the camera close to the Earth or if I scale up the Earth, which is something I both need to do for my Oculus Rift project.

The resolution of the Earth texture used is 8192 x 4096. I've tried importing a higher resolution texture but Unity was unable to read it and besides 4096 is the max for Unity I think.

My question is: How do I create a planet with a very high resolution texture? Is there something like tiling I can use? If so, are there any tutorials online that you would recommend to a noob developer like me?

Thanks.

2. TechnoCraft

TechnoCraft

3. unwitty

unwitty

I contacted a developer who made a demo that had planets that had non-pixelated textures. His advice was what I was following before by setting 'True Image' and 4096 for resolution. So, I knew what I was doing was perfectly fine except for the distance.

My compromise was to make the planet a bit more distant, which worked out fine for the project.

4. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

split it into multiple textures/meshes that are all 4096

5. Kali2048

Kali2048

Rather than using bigger textures or splitting the mesh I would use a Normal map and Specular textures. This way you could even get away with smaller textures but get a better looking shading effect.
    If that's not enough then add an extra sphere as a cloud layer with an alpha texture to make the planet look more complex and animated.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015