Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating game assets. Animations required?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Chrisasan, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Chrisasan

Chrisasan

I am trying to find out if game developers who purchase stock organic models do their own animation editing. Certainly they want models with animations, but I think they must be doing their own custom animations for their game development. Are game developers purchasing game assets and never editing them? I think they would probably take the textures at stock, the mesh at stock. I think they would be doing their own animation work? Are they producing games with stock only?

Couldn't I produce organic models with just a walk cycle, maybe a run cycle?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

I use Mixamo.com. Lots of free humanoid animations that work with Unity's Humanoid animation approach. That should cover a lot of ground for basic animations.

Beyond that, if you need something very specific, you can possible start with an existing "idle" animation, and add some more keyframes to it to add the behavior you want.

Occasionally I've needed to make some one-off animations in a cutscene, where a hand does something like presses a button. I've just made an animation clip for that, recorded the keyframes, and tweaked it until it looked okay. It's a bit tedious, but doable.