Search Unity

Creating directory Temp failed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by grig, May 1, 2013.

1. grig

grig

Every time I open Unity I get this error message right after the logo with the astronaut girl pops up.

"Creating directory

Creating directory Temp failed. Please ensure there is enough dick space and you have permissions setup correctly."

I've deleted all the projects I have in documents because I read that was one way to try to solve this. But its still giving me the error, then it closes as I can only hit Quit. try again and cancel don't do much.

* edit: I actually spammed on cancel, hoping it would just cycle through and possibly start Unity but then it came up with e Force Quit on this new error:

"Moving file failed
    Moving
    temp/unityTempWritestringTofile-somelongsequenceofnumbers etc to library/Assetimportstate...the rest you probably know

Never had this many issues with installing unity. Usually runs like a charm.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. VCC_Geek

VCC_Geek

Are you on PC or Mac? If you're on the Mac, try uninstalling, then repair permissions (Disk Utility: choose Macintosh HD on the left, then Repair Permissions on the right, can take 5-10 minutes), then reinstall.

If you're on Windows, I'll assume you tried rebooting the computer. Also do a defrag. Scan the drive for errors. You also might scan for badware, although that's sort of a stretch.

For either OS, make sure you have enough disk space. Both OSes need to keep 10% of the system disk free for elbow room. Don't ever go below that. If you do, it's time for a bigger hard drive. Either that or a massive disk cleanup. :)

Hope all that helps!

3. grig

grig

I am on Windows7, and I have about 320gigs of space on the drive. I did uninstall and reinstall and rebooted etc.

Hmm, I am not sure what to try next. Its got to be some file or folder that it needs.

4. Oceanv

Oceanv

I'm getting the same error message as I try to open the first chapter from the DVD of Meynard's "Game Development with Unity" book.
    Did you ever figure out why you were getting this message?

Thanks for any help!

Every time I open Unity I get this error message right after the logo with the astronaut girl pops up.

"Creating directory

Creating directory Temp failed. Please ensure there is enough dick space and you have permissions setup correctly."

I've deleted all the projects I have in documents because I read that was one way to try to solve this. But its still giving me the error, then it closes as I can only hit Quit. try again and cancel don't do much.

* edit: I actually spammed on cancel, hoping it would just cycle through and possibly start Unity but then it came up with e Force Quit on this new error:

"Moving file failed
    Moving
    temp/unityTempWritestringTofile-somelongsequenceofnumbers etc to library/Assetimportstate...the rest you probably know

Never had this many issues with installing unity. Usually runs like a charm.[/QUOTE]

5. xNinja

xNinja

Try to execute as administrator. Solved the issue for me.

6. CemFacPub

CemFacPub

I had this problem when I set up ransom ware settings and Windows 10 had blocked access for certain programs to store or access specific directories. I had to turn it off and readjust it to make sure that Unity has read/write priveledge

7. shacharoz

shacharoz

can you please explain more how you solved this? its not clear so much. thanks!

8. SteenPetersen

SteenPetersen

For what its worth sometimes files in the 'temp' or 'library' folders can get corrupted, even though you may have space, it can become unable to generate in that location. It is perfectly safe to delete both folders and it could very well fix this issue for you. It did for me.

The 'Library' folder is auto-generated by Unity. It contains the imported versions of your assets, cache files, among other things, and it's Unity's way to optimize and speed up project loading times.

Deleting the 'Library' folder forces Unity to re-import all of your assets and rebuild its databases. It's a common troubleshooting step. The downside is that it can take a long time to complete, especially with larger projects, as Unity needs to re-import all of your assets.