Search Unity

Creating custom grass

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by IroncladEarl, Oct 27, 2016.

1. IroncladEarl

IroncladEarl

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I cannot find a single guide or tutorial on how to create my own custom grass from scratch. I'm looking for something that guides me from the Photoshop stage.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Are you looking for just a tutorial for making the texture or do you mean your own grass system entirely? If it's the latter I've been experimenting with this myself. I've been thinking that a particle system would be well suited to this task. So I have three priorities for the grass: First, it has to spawn and despawn around the player within a set distance so I'm not drawing grass out forever (a radius). Second I would like the grass opacity to fade in or out based on the max distance. Third I would require that the grass "attach" itself to either a 3d mesh or terrain object conforming to the normals of that mesh or terrain of course.

3. Farelle

Farelle

btw. google understands when searching in question form. I found those 2 videos after searching for "how to make grass for unity"

Paul-Swanson and JamesArndt like this.
  4. Farelle

Farelle

oh and regarding your idea of how grass should work in unity, as far as I know the "grass" you place with the terrain editor, it has alot of the things automated you talked about, like grass from terraineditor is being "merged" with the terrain layer, aswell as trees etc. and are therefore falling under same optimization as the terrain. (Including loading in and unloading specific areas that are beyond players sight)

JamesArndt likes this.
  5. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

That was pretty good. Sorry ressurecting this. But it's still valid advice