Search Unity

Creating complex dynamic multi-screen responsive UI in Unity

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MattGarland, Jan 3, 2019.

1. MattGarland

MattGarland

I've worked on many projects where my teams have developed various approaches to handling complex UI ( e.g. uTalk ).

I'd be interested to know of any developers who have worked with UI in this way and if they've found success in specific approaches, or using helpful resources.

I'm not interested in visual node-based systems, as IMO these do not scale well and are generally only helpful for people who do not write code.

The aim is to have the following elements:

Achieve consistency ( and ease of maintenance ) through rule based approaches to text sizes, element sizes and padding.

Dynamically populate text into UI from a dictionary ( facilitating changes to wording and support for multiple languages ) - with layouts adjusting accordingly.

Modular UI elements that can be created and used in different contexts, such as:
    • Buttons with different text or icons
    • Button stacks or grids that can dynamically position multiple elements

Dynamically populate UI
    elements into layouts ( for example creating a menu or grid of icons representing products ) from code or data. In my experience, this part can lead to large unwieldy code files if not implemented elegantly.

Ease of maintenance. Any use of code, scenes and prefabs needs to be as simple and easy to understand as possible to avoid headaches and confusion when changes need to be made down the line, or by new developers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Harrison_Perry likes this.