Search Unity

Creating colliders for a ship.

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Brennababs2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Brennababs2

Brennababs2

So, I'm incredibly new to unity, and as of now i want to make an airship that the player can walk about on while it's in movement (sort of a guns of icarus type thing). While there is a lot of work to do in this department, I've run into an issue. the player needs to collide with the ship in order to be able to walk around on the ship. however, the ships needs to be rigidbody in order for it to work, and mesh colliders aren't supported with rigidbody. I've tried using scripts to make a "non convex" mesh collider, but just end up with tons of box colliders that gum my game down. there are slopes and such on the ship, however, and unity doesn't offer anything other than box, sphere and capsule colliders. any leads on this issue would be much appreciated.

2. snacktime

snacktime

This is a fairly complex problem actually. The general term for it is moving platforms. The standard way to handle it is via a kinematic character controller. It's an advanced topic but fortunately there are a few controllers on the asset store that can do this. If they do they will say it supports moving platforms. I like the Kinematic Character Controller asset, although the author seems to be AWOL as of late it's still a great asset. But there are others just look around on the asset store.

If you do it yourself, you have a *very* steep learning curve in front of you. I don't suggest that route.