Search Unity

Creating Cinematic World

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Jah_far, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Jah_far

Jah_far

Hello people,

I've started to use Unity about 2 weeks ago and my main purpose is to be able to create short cinematic movies.

I wanna make a cinematic film that contains two types of environment: cyberpunk style city and pure nature. !But! I don't now whats better - to create all environmental models in-Unity (using ProBuilder / Terrain) or in third programs (Maya/Blender/3dsMax)?

Also, I'm worried about differences in graphics because I want all models to be cinematic.
    The question is what shall I do to achieve my goals?

Thank you!

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! You can go either way, and always change later :) ProBuilder creates standard models, no difference vs Blender/Maya/etc. So, create your basic stuff in Unity with ProBuilder, then export to Blender/Maya/etc when you want to add more detail...then if you need to edit again in Unity, you can always "ProBuilderize" the imported mesh to edit with ProBuilder, and so forth... :)

Pick the tool that works best for you, start simple! :)

3. Jah_far

Jah_far

Hi!
    Wow! Thank you for quick and informative respond.
    Does it mean that after detail customization in Maya (for exp.) it'll import back to Unity just meshes (textures of models) or the whole level?
    And by the way, is there any difference between adding meshes to models in-Unity or outside it?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Happy to help!

In the external modeling tool (such as Maya), you can choose what to export- just several items, the whole scene, whether to include materials and textures or just the mesh, lights and animations can also be exported. The methods vary per tool, but they all give you lots of flexibility. Also, similar to Unity, you can always find super helpful custom scripts and plugins for specific tools, just search and ask on that tool's forum, people will have good info.

Zero technical difference between a mesh made in Unity with ProBuilder, vs a mesh made outside with Maya etc. There's no special stuff going on at all, no worries about compatibility/etc :)

5. Jah_far

Jah_far

I really aprecciate your help.

Thank you once again!

gabrielw_unity likes this.