Search Unity

Creating Avatar for first-person hands problems

Discussion in 'Animation' started by thesupersoup, May 12, 2018.

1. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

Hey,

So I bought several of Ironbelly's first-person model packs off the Asset Store. Namely the M416 and pistol packs, because they came with first-person arms and I was excited by the prospect of being able to manipulate the arms to fit different weapons and roles.

Such manipulation requires a decent humanoid avatar, which for a non-animation inclined person like myself I hoped I could figure out how to set up. So I Googled around, read some guides, and did my best to convert the Legacy rig the models came with over to a Humanoid rig, including rebinding bones with the Avatar editor until it *looked* like it was set up proper.

Yet the results are... monstrous.

fingers.PNG
    "They call 'em fingers, but I never see 'em fing... oh, there they go."

Any advice? Where should I focus my efforts to get these up and running?

2. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

Ok, so I made some progress by importing as Generic, Create Avatar from Model, and setting the Root Bone to None.

Which makes no sense to me; aren't these rigged up for mecanim Humanoid animation? Why would setting the Root Bone to None make the fingers fing appropriately?

Now I'm just trying to understand. Is there any explanation an animation simpleton like myself can make sense of?

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Make sense of what?

Since you stated the initial model/rig was set up for legacy, the question related to these being rigged up for mecanim humanoid animation seems - already answered.

If you check the documentation about animation it will mention - legacy and mecanim are two different animation systems. Simply put legacy is the old animation system - which was 100% code driven. Mecanim is the new system (since like 2012?) and provides a state machine and animation setup system so more than a programmer can setup and create animation motion flows / state machines.

Two different rig types exist in mecanim, humanoid and generic. Humanoid is simply stated as a default humanoid rig that allows for animation retargeting onto any/all character rigs that confirm to the humanoid rig structure.

Generic is for all other rigs - and does not provide retargeting.

4. thesupersoup

thesupersoup

Ok, I get that. I understand the differences between legacy and mecanim.
    So when the asset I picked up said it was "100% mecanim compatible," what I should have read was "these are assets with legacy animation, good luck getting them set up with mecanim you should probably just go with generic"?