Search Unity

Creating assets for specific games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pancreasboy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. pancreasboy

pancreasboy

Sorry for my ignorance but are there many games out there which you can create and sell game assets for?

And have you had much success selling assets for specific games? And if so what were those games?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I mean, there's Second Life, but that's really nothing to do with Unity.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Roblox comes to mind.

Also, on rare occasion a free community mod becomes so successful that the game publisher picks it up as their own IP, such as Counter Strike.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

That said it's very common to see Roblox "games" with music and other content ripped from existing games.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Valve is pretty interesting that they let fan based content be. Like Blackmesa and Project Borealis, other studios would shut them down in a heartbeat, zenimax/bethesda comes to mind.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Bethesda is more lenient than you'd think. We've got unofficial projects working to recreate three games (Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind), we've got projects that bring the content from older games (eg Fallout 3) to newer games (eg Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4), and so on.

Where they draw the line is when you start distributing their actual assets. The recent project to bring Fallout 3 into the newer Fallout 4 engine hit this snag because they were trying to use the original voice files and Bethesda legal said no.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Ask Prey for the gods Devs how lenient they are ;)

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ask Bethesda how successful they were getting Mojang to change the name of their game. Hint, they weren't.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Didn't know that, nice I think zenimax is a really evil corporation so they deserve all the S*** they can get.

10. Ryiah likes this.
  11. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

You can make cosmetic items for Dota 2... If that is still ongoing, i'm not sure. But rules are very strict in terms of style, and competition is fierce

12. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

Some racing sims allow you to sell mods usually cars or tracks or both. From what I understand Reiza started off as a company selling rFactor mods before making their own games.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

14. xVergilx

xVergilx