Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Creating Animations For A Character Question

Discussion in 'Animation' started by renman3000, Nov 28, 2014.

1. renman3000

renman3000

I am just starting out in 3D animation. Not making them, but coding. What I am wondering is, if I want to have a animation punch or kick, this animation needs to be created in some type of software like Maya then imported into Unity yes?

Its not like I can manipulate or create the animations from the skeleton of the character in Unity. Correct?

2. medhue

medhue

You can create the animation in an external program like Maya, or Blender, but you need to have a similar rig, or a mecanim capable rig. You can actually animate in Unity, but it is not the easiest thing to do.

3. renman3000

renman3000

Ok, so technically, I could create the animation, with the rig in Unity, but its not really reccomended.

Thanks.

4. medhue

medhue

Pretty much. If you just need a simple pose or a blend shape animation, those are simple enough to do easily in Unity.

5. renman3000

renman3000

Ok.
    I would need walk, run, idle, punch, kick, pick up, throw.

6. medhue

medhue

That will be $100! :eek:
    Just kidding.:p

If you are using a compatible Mecanim Humanoid character, then you can find most of those animations you need for free in the Raw Mocap package. The throw animation I'm not sure about tho. I have a really good mocap throw that I made, but I've yet to convert it to the mecanim humanoid rig.

7. renman3000

renman3000

Ok, so this Raw Mocap, has various skeletal animations and can be applied to a humanoid skeleton easily?

8. medhue

medhue

Yep, it comes with most of your normal movements. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5330

You just have to make sure your character is set up with the humanoid rig.

9. renman3000

renman3000

Is that a standard setting, or does the rig maker need to ad in the various elements? I am just curious. For instance, is it a head, neck, two shoulder joists two elbow ..... Etc? Is this a base model Maya or something gives you and then the user can mold it? And when exported unity see's the joints?

10. medhue

medhue

Well, I don't know the full extent of what is possible, but generally speaking, if the character has a standard human skeleton set up, it can be converted in Unity to use the Humanoid rig options, which gives you access to any animation made for the human mecanim system.

I actually use an addon to Blender for a totally different platform, but it converts well to the humanoid mecanim rig.