Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're excited to be bringing you the newest Unity features, news, demos, and we've even got some special guests from some of the industry’s most storied franchises. Set a reminder to tune in on YouTube here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating Android App Bundles (aab) with Unity Cloud Builds

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Build' started by Nieles_GH, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Is it possible to create the new Android App Bundles with Unity Cloud builds?

2. AlCaTrAzzGames

AlCaTrAzzGames

bump, this would be a really strong feature to have (and considering it's part of the unity gradle builds since 2018.3, shouldn't be that hard to implement)

domdev likes this.
  3. FantasticMatt

FantasticMatt

Bump. I would also like an option for this for builds run from batchmode

4. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

I am also very interested in knowing this. Can anyone from Unity Cloud Build support give us a hint if there is a roadmap for this?

5. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Any news on this? Currently, I can create all builds on the cloud but for an Android release, I have to build locally which isn't an ideal situation.

henriqueranj likes this.
  6. Daddoon

Daddoon

I don't have tested yet, and don't know if it's the intended behavior for Unity Cloud Build but you can find the bool at editor level here:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    3. EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle = true;
    Also see the other recommendations here: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorUserBuildSettings-buildAppBundle.html

You may try to execute a PreBuild custom method on your Unity Cloud Build project in order to reconfigure the UnityEditor configuration, and see what happen.

I've done something similar in order to Add/Remove OpenVR/Oculus SDK depending if the build is intended for Oculus Store shipping or for Steam.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

I gave it a try and the build did succeed, however, Unity Cloud says there is no download available.
    So I guess it doesn't recognize the aab file as a downloadable output.

8. Daddoon

Daddoon

It's possible, but there is an option to override Unity Cloud Build output files no ?
    Didn't have tested yet !

EDIT: Must have dreamed ! You are right, you cannot explore or redirect anything from the standard interface.

I think Unity don't support this option yet...
    It seem that Unity is looking for an APK file for Unity Cloud Build shipping.

You may try to fool the system with a PostBuild script, and renaming the application Bundle as an APK, but i don't even know if it would works.

I think the Unity Cloud Build Team must uprade theirs infrastructure for this scenario...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Thanks, it was a good suggestion. But fooling the system seems to go a little too hacky :D
    I'll wait for Unity to properly implement it.

10. Alkanov

Alkanov

11. mr_tom

mr_tom

12. travispettry

travispettry

I agree this would be an awesome feature to have.