Search Unity

Creating Android App Bundles (aab) with Unity Cloud Builds

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Build' started by Nieles_GH, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Is it possible to create the new Android App Bundles with Unity Cloud builds?

2. AlCaTrAzzGames

AlCaTrAzzGames

bump, this would be a really strong feature to have (and considering it's part of the unity gradle builds since 2018.3, shouldn't be that hard to implement)

domdev likes this.
  3. FantasticMatt

FantasticMatt

Bump. I would also like an option for this for builds run from batchmode

4. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

I am also very interested in knowing this. Can anyone from Unity Cloud Build support give us a hint if there is a roadmap for this?

5. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Any news on this? Currently, I can create all builds on the cloud but for an Android release, I have to build locally which isn't an ideal situation.

henriqueranj likes this.
  6. GuillaumeZAHRA

GuillaumeZAHRA

I don't have tested yet, and don't know if it's the intended behavior for Unity Cloud Build but you can find the bool at editor level here:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    3. EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle = true;
    Also see the other recommendations here: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorUserBuildSettings-buildAppBundle.html

You may try to execute a PreBuild custom method on your Unity Cloud Build project in order to reconfigure the UnityEditor configuration, and see what happen.

I've done something similar in order to Add/Remove OpenVR/Oculus SDK depending if the build is intended for Oculus Store shipping or for Steam.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

I gave it a try and the build did succeed, however, Unity Cloud says there is no download available.
    So I guess it doesn't recognize the aab file as a downloadable output.

8. GuillaumeZAHRA

GuillaumeZAHRA

It's possible, but there is an option to override Unity Cloud Build output files no ?
    Didn't have tested yet !

EDIT: Must have dreamed ! You are right, you cannot explore or redirect anything from the standard interface.

I think Unity don't support this option yet...
    It seem that Unity is looking for an APK file for Unity Cloud Build shipping.

You may try to fool the system with a PostBuild script, and renaming the application Bundle as an APK, but i don't even know if it would works.

I think the Unity Cloud Build Team must uprade theirs infrastructure for this scenario...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  9. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Thanks, it was a good suggestion. But fooling the system seems to go a little too hacky :D
    I'll wait for Unity to properly implement it.

10. Alkanov

Alkanov

11. mr_tom

mr_tom

12. travispettry

travispettry

I agree this would be an awesome feature to have.

13. matiasticbits

matiasticbits

Hi all!

We ran into the same issue and decided to go with the way of using pre- and post-export methods to cheat Unity Cloud to build and export an App Bundle file.

This editor script will configure Unity Cloud to build the App Bundle and finally to rename the .aab file to .apk so it can be downloaded. The downloaded file will be an App Bundle even though it is named as .apk and you can later rename it to .aab.

To use this editor script you need to configure the pre and post build methods under your Unity Cloud build config. Under Advanced Options you can configure Pre-Export Method Name and Post-Export Method Name. Remember to include the namespace name, for example: YourNamespace.AppBundleUnityCloudUtil.OnPreExport.

App Bundle files can be converted to .apks files that can be installed to a device for local test. Converting and installing can be done using Google's bundletool. Help on how to download and use this tool can be found in the references below.

Editor script:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. #if UNITY_CLOUD_BUILD
    3. using System.IO;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    6. namespace YourNamespace
    7. {
    8.     public static class AppBundleUnityCloudUtil
    9.     {
    10.         public static void OnPreExport()
    11.         {
    12.             UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle = true;
    13.             Debug.Log("AppBundleUnityCloudUtil: Enabled building of an Android App Bundle");
    14.         }
    16.         public static void OnPostExport(string exportPath)
    17.         {
    18.             if (!UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle)
    19.             {
    20.                 Debug.LogErrorFormat("AppBundleUnityCloudUtil: UnityEditor.EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle is not enabled");
    21.             }
    23.             var bundlePath = exportPath.Replace(".apk", ".aab");
    24.             if (File.Exists(bundlePath))
    25.             {
    26.                 Debug.LogFormat("AppBundleUnityCloudUtil: Moving {0} to {1}", bundlePath, exportPath);
    27.                 File.Move(bundlePath, exportPath);
    28.             }
    29.             else
    30.             {
    31.                 Debug.LogErrorFormat("AppBundleUnityCloudUtil: AppBundle file not found in path {0}", bundlePath);
    32.             }
    33.         }
    34.     }
    35. }
    36. #endif
    References:

migs_pixi, broersma, victorw and 2 others like this.
  14. Nieles_GH

Nieles_GH

Awesome, this is indeed working! And it actually looks simpler then I had imagined.
    Thanks!

15. Alkanov

Alkanov

Great hack but we still need to push for full support

migs_pixi, broersma and Mouldi like this.
  16. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Would like to express my interest here too. We had several issues using OBB file, when we tried the aab, it worked flawlessly, which means that this is our only way of exporting our vuforia project without issues.

We desperatly need this feature.

Would also be great to have a date to expect this implemented, it would really speed things up.

MaxGuernseyIII likes this.
  17. ImbaGame

ImbaGame

18. thibouf

thibouf

Hey, can we have an official answer about that ? App bundles can be generate since 2018.3, it does not seems such a huge feature to just recognize abb instead of apk ...

broersma likes this.
  19. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

I don't mind using the hack for now but this should be part of cloud build imo.

20. migs_pixi

migs_pixi

Unfortunately the "hack" is not working also (at least for me). I'm getting the error that written in the line 31 of the hack - file not found. AAB is built for sure - the logs and the missing download file on a successful build indicate it.

Code (CSharp):
    1. AppBundle file not found in path /BUILD_PATH/here-was-companyname.and.app.bundle/temp.XXXXXX20190526-6564-1xkdmdg/Droid Dev.aab
    Can someone confirm that the hack is still working for them? May be it's connected to the Unity version I'm building with? I'm using 2018.3.14f1

And yes, I would love Cloud Build devs to implement AAB on their side. The platform already building, all that remains is to take ".aab" extension into account.

21. HaakonL

HaakonL

Not working for us either. We're building with 2018.4.0.

ERROR: AppBundleUnityCloudUtil: AppBundle file not found in path /BUILD_PATH/here-was-companyname.and.app.bundle/temp.XXXXXX20190526-6275-xx5dq2/Android.aab

I'll do some logging now to see if the path has changed, might be possible to fix.

22. HaakonL

HaakonL

If you are having issues like the one I just posted, the fix is to update the gradle file. Unity has changed quite a few things in the gradle file, and you need to make sure your custom gradle file has all the new stuff included. Our gradle file was outdated. I updated it and now the aab was built like expected. This is our updated gradle file:

Assets/Plugins/Android/mainTemplate.gradle

Code (CSharp):
    1. buildscript {
    2.     repositories {
    3.         google()
    4.         jcenter()      
    5.     }
    7.     dependencies {
    8.         classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.2.0'
    9.         **BUILD_SCRIPT_DEPS**}
    10. }
    12. allprojects {
    13.     repositories {
    14.         google()
    15.         jcenter()
    16.         flatDir {
    17.             dirs 'libs'
    18.         }
    19.     }
    20. }
    22. apply plugin: 'com.android.application'
    23. **APPLY_PLUGINS**
    25. dependencies {
    26.     implementation fileTree(dir: 'libs', include: ['*.jar'])
    27. **DEPS**}
    29. android {
    30.     compileSdkVersion **APIVERSION**
    31.     buildToolsVersion '**BUILDTOOLS**'
    33.     defaultConfig {
    34.         minSdkVersion **MINSDKVERSION**
    35.         targetSdkVersion **TARGETSDKVERSION**
    36.         applicationId '**APPLICATIONID**'
    37.         ndk {
    38.             abiFilters **ABIFILTERS**
    39.         }
    40.         versionCode **VERSIONCODE**
    41.         versionName '**VERSIONNAME**'
    42.     }
    44.     lintOptions {
    45.         abortOnError false
    46.     }
    48.     aaptOptions {
    49.         noCompress '.unity3d', '.ress', '.resource', '.obb'**STREAMING_ASSETS**
    50.     }**SIGN**
    52.     buildTypes {
    53.         debug {
    54.             minifyEnabled **MINIFY_DEBUG**
    55.             useProguard **PROGUARD_DEBUG**
    56.             proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-unity.txt'**USER_PROGUARD**
    57.             jniDebuggable true
    58.         }
    59.         release {
    60.             minifyEnabled **MINIFY_RELEASE**
    61.             useProguard **PROGUARD_RELEASE**
    62.             proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-unity.txt'**USER_PROGUARD****SIGNCONFIG**
    63.         }
    64.     }**PACKAGING_OPTIONS****SPLITS**
    65. **BUILT_APK_LOCATION**
    66. **BUILT_APK_LOCATION**
    67.     bundle {
    68.         language {
    69.             enableSplit = false
    70.         }
    71.         density {
    72.             enableSplit = false
    73.         }
    74.         abi {
    75.             enableSplit = true
    76.         }
    77.     }
    78. }**SPLITS_VERSION_CODE****REPOSITORIES****SOURCE_BUILD_SETUP**

matiasticbits likes this.
  23. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

Given that the deadline for Google Playstore to reject apps without this feature is so close, this should be priority #1 for Cloud Build.

24. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

Could you post where Google details this new requirement and the deadline for conversion? I could not find anything. But yes, implementing this as an officially supported feature is already one of our higher priorities and probably would have been done by now if not for iOS builds unexpectedly exploding in 2019.1.3f1

25. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hi @victorw here follows the official timeline from Google: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html

The deadlines are for 64-bit support, not specifically AAB. However, due to APK sizes increasing immensely due to extra 64-bit architecture, the AAB packages would be the ideal solution for submitting to the Google PlayStore. Otherwise:
    • Always build locally for Store release.
    • Create and manage different Android build targets for each platform in Unity Cloud Build.
    • Hack the UCB Android target to build AAB and then sneakily repackage to APK (as posted above)
    You can see why we really need AAB for Unity Cloud Build :)

26. Alkanov

Alkanov

Deadline is almost here and we still don't have AAB for Unity Cloud Build - this is serious guys.

27. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

This is now supported on the backend. UI is also close to being ready to release but if you want to try it out now you can do so by setting the
    settings.advanced.android.buildAppBundle
    flag on a build target (see the API documentation.). You should also set
    settings.advanced.unity.EditorUserBuildSettings.androidBuildSystem
    to
    gradle
    when using this option, though I think this will get set automatically since the Editor does not support app bundle builds outside of Gradle.

MaxGuernseyIII and musickgm like this.
  28. matiasticbits

matiasticbits

Thank you for implementing this. Is this the reason why our workaround just stopped working today?

29. cdytoby

cdytoby

We also noticed that, it seems changing
    EditorUserBuildSettings.buildAppBundle no longer works, it has to be shipped with API?

30. matiasticbits

matiasticbits

I used the API to enable
    settings.advanced.android.buildAppBundle
    for the Unity Cloud build configuration and now building App Bundle works.

31. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

@matiasticbits - Could you show a screenshot of how you've done with (with your private stuff obscured obviously)

The API tool is a little difficult to use I find

32. matiasticbits

matiasticbits

Sure. First find out all the required information for your API key and current build configuration, these can be found from the URI when you are editing the build config in Unity Cloud.
    * Organization ID
    * Project ID
    * Build target ID
    * Your API key - https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/login/me

First I used HTTP GET method to fetch the configuration I currently have for the project. This will return the JSON data for the build configuration and print it in the terminal you are using.

curl -X GET -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H "Authorization: Basic [YOUR API KEY]" https://build-api.cloud.unity3d.com/api/v1/orgs/{orgid}/projects/{projectid}/buildtargets/{buildtargetid}

Copy to an editor and edit the returned JSON by finding '"advanced":{' and replacing it with '"advanced":{"android":{"buildAppBundle":true},'. Then we need to use HTTP PUT method to update this configuration to the Unity Cloud server.

curl -X PUT -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '[WHOLE CONFIG JSON IN ONE LINE]' -H "Authorization: Basic [YOUR API KEY]" https://build-api.cloud.unity3d.com/api/v1/orgs/{orgid}/projects/{projectid}/buildtargets/{buildtargetid}

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    victorw likes this.
  33. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

Thanks for the details there. Just to confirm - the advanced section should look like this (not replacing it with the android part):

Code (csharp):
    2. "advanced": {
    3.             "unity": {
    4.                 "preExportMethod": "CloudBuildHelper.PreExport",
    5.                 "postExportMethod": "",
    6.                 "preBuildScript": "",
    7.                 "postBuildScript": "",
    8.                 "scriptingDefineSymbols": "UNITY_GOOGLE; UNITY_PURCHASING",
    9.                 "playerExporter": {
    10.                     "sceneList": [],
    11.                     "buildOptions": []
    12.                 },
    13.                 "editorUserBuildSettings": {
    14.                     "androidBuildSystem": "gradle"
    15.                 },
    16.                 "runUnitTests": true,
    17.                 "failedUnitTestFailsBuild": true,
    18.                 "unitTestMethod": "UnityTest.Batch.RunUnitTests"
    19.             },
    20.             "android":{
    21.                 "buildAppBundle":true
    22.             }
    23.         }

34. matiasticbits

matiasticbits

Yes, don't replace the whole "advanced" section, "android" should be added under it.

35. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

Awesome - thanks - giving it a try now :D

36. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

Yeah sorry I did break the existing method, I'll restore that in a hotfix soon but as you've noted you can also just use the new method to get it working.

37. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

Does it take longer to build the app bundle than a normal apk? Its been building for 2 hours now? Normally builds in about 40 mins

38. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

ah - never mind.... I'm testing it on a brand new config and so there is no cached library or anything, so its rebuilding all the assets.

victorw likes this.
  39. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

I deployed the hotfix just now, the old method of generating ABBs should be working again.

40. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

Know this isn't specifically relevant to cloud build - but I've got my AAB file now, but when I upload it to Google Play to release, it tells me:

Code (csharp):
    1. You can't rollout this release because it doesn't allow any existing users to upgrade to the newly added APKs.
    Previously I had used the split architectures to get the 3 different APK's to reduce the size which has been working fine, but wanted to use AAB.

Anyone had this problem and know how to fix it?

41. KB73

KB73

Quick question on AAB for non-cloud builds, is there anyway to support the new custom delivery feature?
    We have an OBB and we need to have it brought down with the initial install. As OBB is not supported with an AAB, Afaik, custom delivery is the way only way to do this. We'd love to use the new AAB stuff but not sure there is full support for this in 2018.4? Any ideas? Our only choice right now is to revert back to the old split apk/obb and manage all that which we'd rather not

thanks

42. Alkanov

Alkanov

I had this issue, your version code will have to be higher than your highest version ever, here is an example of what I had before:

ARMv6 - version: 300101
    ARMv7 - version: 200101
    x86 - version: 100101

Your AAB will have to be 300102 or higher since this one will cover all architectures

This issue is offtopic but the above is the solution

43. alan_motionlab

alan_motionlab

Hey @Alkanov

Thanks for the tip - that worked great!

44. HereIAmItsMe

HereIAmItsMe

Am seeing the following error error after enabling AAB builds via the cloud build API as outlined in @matiasticbits's post. Is the OnPostExport callback required to rename the output file from apk -> aab?

Thanks.

Code (CSharp):
    1. 16286: [Unity] EXCEPTION: FileNotFoundException: Temp/gradleOut/build/outputs/bundle/release/gradleOut.aab does not exist
    2. 16287: [Unity] UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_Log(LogType, String, Object)
    3. 16288: [Unity] UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogFormat(LogType, Object, String, Object[])
    4. 16289: [Unity] UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
    5. 16290: [Unity] UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    6. 16291: [Unity] UnityEditor.CloudBuild.BuildLogger:Log(String)
    7. 16292: [Unity] UnityEditor.CloudBuild.BuildLogger:HighlightUnityErrors(String, String, LogType)
    8. 16293: [Unity] UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck(String[], String, String, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget, BuildOptions, Boolean)
    9. 16294: [Unity] UnityEditor.CloudBuild.Builder:Build()
    10. 16295: [Unity] FileNotFoundException: Temp/gradleOut/build/outputs/bundle/release/gradleOut.aab does not exist
    11. 16296: [Unity]   at UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.Tasks.BuildGradleProject.Execute (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12. 16297: [Unity]   at UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessRunner.RunAllTasks (UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessor.PostProcessorContext context) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    13. 16298: [Unity]   at UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry, UnityEditor.BuildReporting.BuildReport report) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    14. 16299: [Unity]   at UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    15. 16300: [Unity] UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayerInternalNoCheck(String[], String, String, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget, BuildOptions, Boolean)
    16. 16301: [Unity] UnityEditor.CloudBuild.Builder:Build()

**** UPDATE ****
    Got it working. For me the issue ended up beingthe wrong gradle version in the mainGradle.template file -- needed 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.2.0' for Unity 2017.4.28f1. Did not need a PostExport step to rename with correct extension.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  45. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

The frontend for this feature is now available, you can set AAB builds from your Build Target -> Advanced settings.

Also I'll give it about a month to make sure everyone has switched over but I'm going to have to reintroduce the code which forces your AAB settings to match what the UCB build target expects.

MaxGuernseyIII and Nieles_GH like this.
  46. jamesk5

jamesk5

I just tried building to ABB using Cloud Build and it worked. However, when I create a new alpha release in Play Console and upload the ABB file I get errors on the review page. I realize this may be due to my lack of experience with ABB, but any advice would be appreciated. @victorw or anyone?

This error shows 3 times, once per APK that the console generated using my ABB file. This is preventing rollout, so I'm stuck. My older APKs (prior to trying ABB) are set to deactivate (which is the default behaviour when creating a new release).

Non-upgradable APK

Warning:
    None of the users of this APK will be able to upgrade to any of the new APKs added in this release.

Tip:
    Ensure that all your new APKs are added to this release.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019 at 11:10 PM
  47. victorw

victorw

Unity Technologies

@jamesk5 this was covered by @Alkanov earlier in the thread:

48. jamesk5

jamesk5

49. MaxGuernseyIII

MaxGuernseyIII

I feel like we need a way to start a round of applause for getting this in place.

thibouf likes this.
  50. thibouf

thibouf

Just tested, works well , thanks !!

If I may, a "small" additional feature would be great : the possibility to also generate apks using the bundletool . See :
    https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/bundletool

This way anyone from the team could test the build by downloading the correct apk without the need to upload the bundle into the play store console ...