Search Unity

Creating an isometric "2.5D" map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by emaestro95, Jan 20, 2021.

1. emaestro95

emaestro95

I started Unity a few weeks back, and yesterday I finished the Ruby's Adventure tutorial. I feel like I would like to start my own small game and experiment with what I can achieve, all while trying to improve my unity skills.

My idea would be to make a map like brawl stars, kind of 2.5D in the sense that the camera angle will be fixed.

1-> I would like to ask if then, having a fixed camera angle, will using 2D sprites make everything easier? or on the other hand is it easier to use 3D models??

2-> Also, how much quality for the map can I get by using tilemaps instead of implementing a 3D map? (I don't even know how 3D maps are called).

3-> If using tilemaps, how hard is it to implement different height levels? like, walking stairs and being on higher tiles.

4-> What alternatives do I have for making the maps? I have only used tilemaps in the tutorials I've completed.

Thank you for taking your time, and feel free to elaborate in the answers if you think it can give me more information about what I need.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you decide to use sprites, you should be aware, that you will require lots of images, which are drawn specifically in a required angle. That may complicate things, butt is certainly possible, as many games did.

Fully 3d map and enviremont gives you much more flexibility, in terms of the design. You can rotate things as you like and even change camera view angle and FOV, without issues. Also it may be cooler looking, if is done right.

In 3D it probably will be easier to handle heights. But you can easily mimic stairs and slopes in 2D too, while using sprites.

Tile map probably is easier to design and to manage. You have tools already in hand to do so.
    For strictly 3D map and kind of mix filling with tile maps, you may try use Probuipder, to design own 3D levels.

You should try both approaches, to learn and see, what each method feels like.

How hard, or how easy, is just relative term. And comes only with an experience.

Try probuilder. It is on the asset store. And is free. And I think is also in package manager. Check it out just in case.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    emaestro95 likes this.