Search Unity

Creating a "tile"map from a texture.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Smuth, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Smuth

Smuth

Has anybody tried using image data to create instances of prefabs? I was hoping to do a side scrolling game but it's difficult to work with tiles without any kind of grid snapping in Unity.

What I was hoping to do was create an image and look at the colour value to decide what prefab I would create at the same position. I would also probably use the alpha to flip and flop the object as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I've done something similar to that, so yep, it's quite possible. Only thing in this case is, you're presumably going to have quite a few tiles, in which case working with colors is going to be really hard. Instead I'd recommend creating a level editor, and use that to save the level as a file, instead of messing with textures. It will be much more pleasant to use.

--Eric

3. Smuth

Smuth

That is good to hear. I've looked around for reading and writing data files but haven't had any luck or seen any examples. Could you give me a hint as to what to look for?

Thanks. I'm obviously a total newb. Even if I was to use the texture to create files I don't know how to reference it etc. :(

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's one here. As for referencing textures, you use GetPixel, but like I said, an actual level editor would be better in this case. Even just a simple text file with letters corresponding to different tiles would be a good start, and simpler to deal with than pixels in textures.

--Eric