Search Unity

Creating a test environment for a particular script

Discussion in '2D' started by LankyJon, Mar 24, 2018.

1. LankyJon

LankyJon

Hello all. I am currently working on Procedural world generation, and have gotten it working such that I can use unity components to drag sliders around and test out how the new values will affect the world generation. However, as I am using several noise components to generate terrain maps for different features, I would like to be able to easily test one specific script at a time and see what it generates.

One way of doing this would be to comment out parts of the code I don't want to run, but that's obviously a huge pain, and leads to potential issues with trying not to screw up my code.

Another would be to create an entirely new project, but this would mean I would have to copy over the values from one project to another every time I wanted to test the components together.

Is there any way to simply create a new scene and only run that one on play? Or something similar? Thanks.

2. EdKirby

EdKirby

Hey Jon, I may be missing something here, or even a whole lot, but couldn't you just create a new scene and attach the script you want to test to main camera and when you hit play it would run?

3. LankyJon

LankyJon

Nope, that would work just fine! (Other than my massive memory issues. Have to figure out why it's taking me so long to generate maps.) I really am new to Unity, and programming in general. Thanks a ton!

4. EdKirby

EdKirby

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.