Search Unity

Creating a space 4x - basic architecture question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by random1, Jun 26, 2013.

1. random1

random1

I'm new to Unity and am interested in using it to create a space 4x type game. This will be a pure-strategy game, no ship-to-ship combat or anything. But I need some pointers to help get started.

Me: I've been programming for years but I'm middling at best. I have a general dislike of OOP (I just can't seem to get my head around it, though I can use it; I'm aware Unity is OO). I am however very good at taking something already created and tweaking it, not just mods but more fundamental changes. I learn by pulling apart examples. My problem is getting started and there not being any 4x related examples that I can find.

Question(s):
    With that in mind, I'm interested in any software-architecture suggestions for a 4x, especially the space view bit. What sort of Unity object/thing do I need to use for it? I'm guessing a "plane" isn't the right choice.
    Are there any tutorials that would be useful? I've watched the official ones and some of the tornado twins ones too.
    Any other pointers also welcome.

I'm fairly sure I can hack something together at this point, but I'd prefer to "do it right". :)
    Thanks