Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Creating a simple 3d model viewer for VR

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dbltrbl023, Dec 1, 2019.

1. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

Hi
    I am completely new to Unity.
    I´m wondering if it would be possible to use unity to view 3d models in an environment, in VR.
    I´m an industrial designer and i would like to view my models with textures in VR and be able to zoom, pan and rotate around it.
    So basically a simple rendering program.
    The VR apps i use today aren´t able to view models with textures.

Is this possible to do with almost no experience ? Or is there perhaps already a way to do this?

Thank you,
    and I hope this hasn´t been asked/answered before. I couldn´t find it at least

2. mgear

mgear

Hi,

yes, should be rather simple.

but can have problems with:
    - large cad models might need optimizing before bringing them to unity (if its too slow otherwise)
    - usually cad models don't have textures/texture coordinates, need to fix that
    - if you want to import your models into the viewer at runtime, that requires some specific plugin that supports it
    - 3d formats, unity only supports few formats, so you need software to convert into some suitable format

see also these from unity,
    https://unity.com/aec/reflect
    https://unity3d.com/pixyz

3. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

Thanks for answering!
    The possible problems you mentioned won´t be an issue i think, since i can optimize and convert them to any format needed.
    The links you posted looks promising enough. However since I´m still a student for a few more weeks, I really can´t afford to buy a solution. Was hoping to be able to do it myself.
    But perhaps it´s a lot more complicated than I imagined...

4. mgear

mgear

at least you can easily test how your model looks in unity, export to fbx and check.

minimum VR viewer can be pretty much made by enabling "[x] virtual reality supported" in settings.

zoom/pan doesnt really "work" with vr headsets, since you don't want to forcefully move the player around (causes motion sickness), but can move/rotate/scale the model of course.

5. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

All right , I will start to play around with it and see what happens :)

Thank you

unityunity