Search Unity

Creating a simple 3d model viewer for VR

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dbltrbl023, Dec 1, 2019.

1. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

Hi
    I am completely new to Unity.
    I´m wondering if it would be possible to use unity to view 3d models in an environment, in VR.
    I´m an industrial designer and i would like to view my models with textures in VR and be able to zoom, pan and rotate around it.
    So basically a simple rendering program.
    The VR apps i use today aren´t able to view models with textures.

Is this possible to do with almost no experience ? Or is there perhaps already a way to do this?

Thank you,
    and I hope this hasn´t been asked/answered before. I couldn´t find it at least

2. mgear

mgear

Hi,

yes, should be rather simple.

but can have problems with:
    - large cad models might need optimizing before bringing them to unity (if its too slow otherwise)
    - usually cad models don't have textures/texture coordinates, need to fix that
    - if you want to import your models into the viewer at runtime, that requires some specific plugin that supports it
    - 3d formats, unity only supports few formats, so you need software to convert into some suitable format

see also these from unity,
    https://unity.com/aec/reflect
    https://unity3d.com/pixyz

3. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

Thanks for answering!
    The possible problems you mentioned won´t be an issue i think, since i can optimize and convert them to any format needed.
    The links you posted looks promising enough. However since I´m still a student for a few more weeks, I really can´t afford to buy a solution. Was hoping to be able to do it myself.
    But perhaps it´s a lot more complicated than I imagined...

4. mgear

mgear

at least you can easily test how your model looks in unity, export to fbx and check.

minimum VR viewer can be pretty much made by enabling "[x] virtual reality supported" in settings.

zoom/pan doesnt really "work" with vr headsets, since you don't want to forcefully move the player around (causes motion sickness), but can move/rotate/scale the model of course.

5. dbltrbl023

dbltrbl023

All right , I will start to play around with it and see what happens :)

Thank you