Search Unity

Games Creating a Sci-Fi Environment for Unity HDRP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by flaviat, Dec 9, 2019.

1. flaviat

flaviat

Hello everyone!

Today I open this post to follow up on the creation of a Sci-Fi scene for Unity HDRP!

For the record, a few years ago with friends scattered around the world, we started a short film (3D pre-calculated) called GhostHunter. In this one, we saw Scientists/Soldiers exploring the carcass of an alien ship buried under the ice and they found an artifact in it. This had the effect of waking the guard who came to prevent them from leaving with.
    In the team, we were all young (and not so young) pro and most of we were already working in the cinema or real-time industry (Batman vs Superman / Alien, etc ...) We were aiming high and finally we stopped at the pre-prod because it was difficult for everyone to find time to advance on the project.

Today, I need to get a little modeling and I decided that I would take again the superb concepts made for the project and redo a level of a video game from them.

Some pictures to put you in the universe :)

Artstation of Victor Lahlou to see all the concepts of the project: https://www.artstation.com/vik0/albums/707504

Now that the little presentation is done, let's get to the heart of the matter.

Here's the part I'm going to do in Unity:

3D Blocking :

I have already started some light intentions in order to see which areas should have a bigger job and which areas can be less worked.
    In general, I'm going to do procedural full in the shadows and the background, while I'm going to work the main areas and export higher resolution images.

The first thing I started is the Sphere in which the artifact is located.
    Modeling with 3ds Max and texturing with Substance Painter:

For the texturing the most uninteresting part with Substance was the use of Anchors Points to quickly carve the letters and that these take all the info of my stuff.

Here it is for the moment, the continuation when it will be made ;)

Do not hesitate if you have questions about the project and tools, I will answer with great pleasure!

Mauri, konsic and Tbarthelemy like this.
  2. konsic

konsic

How do you paint perfect circles on the sphere?

3. flaviat

flaviat

I project alpha circle with substance
    upload_2019-12-9_13-38-6.png

4. flaviat

flaviat

Hi! The project continues to advance!

I prepared the textures of snow and rock for the floor. For this, I planned to use a LayeredLit Material present in Unity HDRP.
    It is, therefore, a material that has several layers in order to mix several materials using masks or the vertex color.

Created textures :

They are projected in Triplanar which will allow me to correctly blend the meshes that I will import later.

5. discofhc

discofhc

WOW!
    I hope you can continue this thread this year!
    Simply amazing!

6. flaviat

flaviat

Well it's going on, it's going on.

I found a free asset to make the cables on the asset store: SplineMesh by BENOIT DUMAS

Otherwise I redid my circles and arc separately to be able to use them more easily.

Here's what it looks like right now

To easily paint the details I created a custom brush with Substance Designer to make the planets on their orbit: