Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a RPG with a class/job system

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Ranger2013, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Ranger2013

Ranger2013

Hello all,

I am new to the world of game design/development, as well as the Unity Community.

I've had an idea for a game that I've wanted to make for a long time now, and figured it was time to start pursuing that dream. I've been doing a lot of research on the available engines, tutorials, extensions, and other programs out there, but I just haven't been able to find a lot of info about how to create a job/class system for an RPG.

Is it possible, either through existing features, coding, or extensions, to create a class/job system (warrior, mage, ranger, etc.) for a turn based RPG game? How easy-difficult is it? Is that possible is Unity, or would another engine, like Game Maker Studio, be more in line with what I'm looking for? What would you guys recommend?

Also, if it's possible to ask for any advice for someone getting started, I would greatly appreciate it. The world of coding and game design is new to me, but in doing my research, I was inspired by how nice and helpful this community is. If it helps, here are some specifics about my game idea:

-Turn based combat
    -Class/Job system
    -RPG with leveling and item management
    -Romance options
    -2D pixel graphics with hand drawn images for speech bubbles.

Again, thank you for any help or advice you are able to give!

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is all possible in Unity but also if you're new to development, that's not where you start. The Learn section, however, is.

3. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

never try to make the game of your dreams on the first go, your gonna have a bad time.

4. Ranger2013

Ranger2013

I've looked at the Learn Section to get an idea on how to start, but I haven't been able to find anything specific to RPGs and class/job systems. I'm just trying to figure out what the best platform/ engine to use is.

And, yes, while I am eager to build my dream game, I was not planning on starting on it right away. I figured I'd try to recreate some smaller games first to learn how everything works before starting on my bigger project.

Thanks for the feedback!

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

You won't find anything specific to RPGs. Like all generalized engines, you are going to be taught enough that you can think about what data needs to be represented and then implement the system best for you.

6. LadyAth

LadyAth

There are a couple of resources I would recommend you take a look at:
    https://www.packtpub.com/game-development/building-rpg-unity-2018-second-edition ($5 sale currently on)

Very helpful YouTube channels (RPG and much more):

Unity can definitely do what you want and I would recommend you create your game design document up front so you can figure out your game mechanics before you start the project.

Good luck with your dream ;)

7. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

This could also give some good info
    youtube.com/watch?v=TIQlX2WPCAQ