Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a realistic tree in Unity, shader problems

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Terra-Sanctum, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Terra-Sanctum

Terra-Sanctum

Hi there,

Ive been working on scene that takes place in a forrest, so the main focus is the environment itself. Trees, foliage, grass, light, etc.. Im pushing it to be as realistic as I can make, so its crucial I use PBR textures on the trees Im designing. The problem are the nature shaders in Unity, Im using Blender to create my own trees so I suppose the only shader I can use (that interacts with wind zones) is the Tree Soft Occlusion bark / leaves. But these shaders only have a diffuse map, there is simply no way I can use a shader that only have diffuse color in objects that are the main focus in a scene..

What can I do on this case? The other nature shaders actually have other maps, like Normal map, but they just wont work properly in those trees I created in Blender. The only solution I have so far is use the standard shader in the trunk, using the Tree Soft Occlusion Leaves for the leaves material.. but is not the best option, only the leaves swing in the wind so I have to keep the wind and tree bend rate extremely, extremely low, or else the leaves will move too much away from the branches..

Could really use some help, I dont know what else to do.

Thanks!