Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let us know a bit about your interests, and if you'd like to become more directly involved. Take our survey!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a ragdoll from scratch

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Tumofeu, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Tumofeu

Tumofeu

Hello everyone!

My skill in Unity is low. I want to create a demo scene. There are a character and pickable objects. Character should be a ragdoll "floating" above the ground and moving by a single force applied (no need to animate it, just push a ragdoll in needed direction, e.g. Totally Accurate Battle Simulator). Also, when a player pushes a button right arm of a character should become straight and it should follow the mouse look to be able to pick objects on a scene. Main challenge is that I want to make it all myself. So, what I did so far is:
    1. Created a dummy model in 3ds max
    2. Added bones for a model in 3ds max
    3. Exported it as fbx to Unity
    4. Used a ragdoll wizard to create a ragdoll from a model
    5. Applied a constant force to Head bone, so a ragdoll will fly above the ground
    5. Created scripts to push a ragdoll (apply force to Spine), mouse look (rotate Head and Spine according to camera rotation).

In general it works, BUT I cannot accept the result I got. I've faced following issues:
    1. For some reason mesh deforms in Unity (screenshot 1)
    2. Ragdoll shakes all the time no matter what drag value I apply
    3. MORE glitches when applying a force.
    4. Have no clue how to implement the "arm" functionality I described above.

So the question is, what mistakes did I make? Is that because of the model or something is wrong in Unity project? Maybe mistakes are in basics and the approach should be totally different?

Screenshot_1.png I can provide any screenshots and files if you would like to help me.

Thanks in advance, guys. Look forward to your answers.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Can you elaborate, why Unity ragdoll is not suitable for your application?

3. Tumofeu

Tumofeu

The thing is that I do use unity ragdoll and still have these troubles.