Search Unity

Creating a quad tree with native collections?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by xVergilx, Feb 1, 2019.

1. xVergilx

xVergilx

I'm attempting to re-create a quad-tree for the 2d physics broadphase.
    Now I'm not sure how to do it with native collections. I've got this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public struct QuadTreeNode2D {
    2.     public NativeList<QuadTreeNode2D> Children;
    3.     public NativeList<QuadTreeData2D> Contents;
    4. }
    Which isn't allowed because that would make QuadTreeNode2D non-blittable.
    Does anyone know good architectural solution for this kind of case?

2. M_R

M_R

I have made a tree-like structure like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. struct Node {
    2.     public int parentIndex;
    3.     public int firstChildIndex;
    4.     public int nextSiblingIndex;
    5.     // blittable contents. you can store a (startIndex, count) to some other parallel NativeArray<> here
    6. }
    7. NativeArray<Node> tree;
    or you could use Entities as nodes, with a
    struct Children : IBufferElementData {public Entity Value;}

xVergilx likes this.
  3. xVergilx

xVergilx

I've hoped to avoid using array to unwrap a tree into due to how often that tree would get updated.
    I guess there's no other way around it.

Managing indexes would probably be a pain tho.

4. M_R

M_R

yeah I used that structure only for appending nodes
    if you need to move/delete nodes it could be a pain
    if your children count is fixed, you can do
    struct Node {int parent, leftChild, rightChild, etc;}
    instead. or
    unsafe struct Node {int parent, fixed int children[N];}

5. RecursiveEclipse

RecursiveEclipse

There is Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.UnsafeList/UnsafePtrList which are blittable. There is no AtomicSafety on them so you'd need to do those checks in your wrapper node class if you want to use jobs. Alternatively you could learn to write your own, I think the DisposeSentinel is the main thing making NativeList and others not blittable.(there may be others because NativeList/NativeArray shouldn't be safe to use in a component if it were blittable)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    xVergilx likes this.
  6. xVergilx

xVergilx

Well, that's a bit too late. I've already rewritten almost everything to the int pointers in the array.
    But it's good to know. Thanks :)

7. chanfort

chanfort

8. xVergilx

xVergilx

I'd say it depends on the implementation.

9. chanfort

chanfort

I guess the best thing is just to try it :)

P.S. As for quadtree, are you using it mostly for collisions or to find nearest neighbours?

10. xVergilx

xVergilx

For broadphase approximation, e.g. to find nearest colliders within some adequate scope to perform intersection checks in the later phase. So it's a search more than collision resolution.

I haven't done anything in regards of collision resolution, as that seems to be a completely different topic.

And simply making things interact and intersect may not be that easy with ECS setup (personally).
    I wonder if the actual jobified version with burst would be faster than adequate broadphase w/o jobs. I guess that depends on the object count.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. chanfort

chanfort

Hmm, interesting, didn't knew about broadphase approximation before but googled and seems to be quite interesting topic.

As for collision, I looked a bit in Unity's provided collisional local avoidance and did some tests described here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/collisional-local-avoidance-extracted.599023/

Wasn't sure what algorithm that one represents, but looks like locality sensitive hashing... In short it runs about 20k-40k units at playable FPS. The kdtree tests show that it's slower, i.e. only 7-10k units. Now I am quite keen where quadtree falls in this picture since it's another approach and I didn't tested it yet :) .

12. sngdan

sngdan

Would be interesting to see the quadtree's performance. I did some aabb 2d collision testing before and simply used a grid for the broadphase.

13. xVergilx

xVergilx

Well, it seems like I've made a huge architectural mistake, as there seems to be no way to inject the entire quad tree struct by ref into jobs. (Cannot inject it due to native collections / non-blittable, cannot use it as componentdata)

Should've thought about this before implementing everything, doh!

I wonder if without qt will it run fast enough.
    Or perhaps I should not have done this in an old way. Maybe something like grouping components in certain bounds and then processing them would work the same way.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. sngdan

sngdan

On my iMac 2015, I have the AABB collision running at about 2ms for 10,000 entities. This includes highlighting colliding entities as a simple “collision resolution”. Including moving and rendering it takes about 3.5ms.

It’s not fully optimized and brute forces the special grid allocation, but many jobs run parallel (4 cores)

chanfort likes this.
  15. chanfort

chanfort

Nice one! I may also try to do a grid version at some point. Did some reading and it seems if cell sizes are close to the sizes of units, then brute force is minimal. How large are your grids? I am a bit worried memory wise as I am using 6km x 6km size worlds and want to resolve units with sizes of 1 m. This would give 36M grid cells :) .

16. sngdan

sngdan

It’s only a test, the grid in a real case should be optimized for sprite dimensions, density, movement patterns,...ideally the grid would be structured in a way that the colliding entities keep at all times equally distributed across the grid cells.

I have used an 8x8 Grid, if I recall correctly.

17. tertle

tertle

This does not seem to be the thing that should be implemented with native collections, instead it should be implemented as a native collection.

xVergilx likes this.
  18. marijnz

marijnz

19. tertle

tertle

Looks good.

I recently created one for something at work but unfortunately I can't post it as it's based off something that needs licensing.