Search Unity

Creating a pixel art software - need advice

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by gorbit99, May 16, 2018.

1. gorbit99

gorbit99

I'm in the middle of creating a software for making pixel art. I would like to get some feedback on what should be included in this program. Any feedback is welcome, from saving options to the interface.

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Certainly check the features of existing comparable programs such as Aseprite, Spriter, and Sprite Lamp as a baseline. You'll want to at least have those features. Edge-matching for tilemaps is handy, as is sprite packing, and layered animation.

Martin_H likes this.
  3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I'd suggest looking at Cosmigo Pro Motion as well...those are big shoes to fill.

The next step would be to look at what these programs offer, and if you can't offer something above and beyond on top of the majority, then what will yours do differently? Unless it is just for learning purposes(hobby, whatever), you need something either better, or different(because different may be better to at least some people).

Pixel art is something that has been around for a really long time. I think you will have a good challenge trying to compete with the likes of what is already available.

Martin_H and TonyLi like this.
  4. MaximeVincent

MaximeVincent

There is a website named Piskel that allows you to make Pixelart 2D sprites and Spritesheet, it's a really good tool, maybe you can take inspiration from that.
    My favourite feature here is that you can superimpose all the pictures you made to check if your alignment is still good; that's very useful when trying to make animation sprites.

5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Many good answers above.
    You can also use, gimp, photoshop, or even krita, to create nice pixel art.