Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a Driving/Bus Simulator....

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by chrisieb, Feb 9, 2013.

1. chrisieb

chrisieb

Hi,
    First off, this is my first post and I'd like to say that I've downloaded the free Unity 4 last week ago and since, I've been playing around with it. I also have Blender, so yeah.
    I plan on making a Bus Simulator but I don't know where to start. I know a bit of 3D but I am completely new to programming. I am the only one making this game, I have a lot of spare time though (on weekends). I've given myself 1 year to complete it.
    The question is, how to make a physically stable and realistic bus and how do I create the Traffic Lights (going from red to green)for example ..? Also, what about NPCs ( cars and people on the streets)? Once again, I am new to the whole Game Developing idea.
    I'm guessing I am not the first one to ask this question, but I still don't know where to start.:confused:
    I know there is the "Car Tutorial" asset and all, but I am not sure that is what I need for my Bus Sim. (correct me if I'm wrong). Should i look into Edy's vehicle Physics? I don't have money for the $60.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

EDIT: Please tell me if i should post this in another section.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. Meltdown

Meltdown

You're aiming too high for your first project.
    For your first a one year bus simulator project is not a good idea.

Go and make 3 or 4 very small games, and finish them, start to end. Draw up a solid GDD for each game, and use that as your reference.
    Invest in a decent GUI such as NGUI or use the free version.

A simple pong or other arcade game with a GUI, scoring system and menu will be a great start, then ramp it up a bit from there.
    I'd also suggesting do as many tutorials as possible for about a month. Get very comfortable with the IDE before making your own game.

3. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

What Meltdown said. Though it's not impossible to learn the hard way, it's called the hard way for a reason.

4. chrisieb

chrisieb

OK, thanks for the answers! I think I'll go the easy way.Just one last question, where can i find good tutorials on the web?

5. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Google. Just google what you want to do in which program and you will find videos, pdfs etc.

6. Annihlator

Annihlator

@Meltdown; What are you referring to with "GDD"?

7. chrisieb

chrisieb

@Annihlator I'm pretty sure GDD means Game Design Document
    "Google. Just google what you want to do in which program and you will find videos, pdfs etc. " OK, thanks for the help!

8. harrbl88

harrbl88

what do you do here

9. harrbl88

harrbl88

never mind i got it .
    :):)

10. kj343565

kj343565