Search Unity

creating a course about Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by motorway, May 29, 2009.

1. motorway

motorway

Hello.
    I plan to create a course for universities about web virtual environments using Unity technology. Is it all OK with copyright to do such work? Am I free to do this? :)

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Of course you can create your own course and material, where does any worry about copyright come in? If it's in reference to using the material we provide then please refer to the license file included with every download, it states that you're free to use that material in your own projects, commercial or otherwise, as long as they're created in Unity.

3. bugfrog

bugfrog

Have been thinking of the same thing. I currently teach game design and want to develop a course for Unity that could be a followup.

Would love to collaborate with you and share ideas.

bugFrog

4. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

As have I, although for different reasons. I've been releasing a lot of tutorials for game designers. However, I've also been thinking about creating a course series devoted to taking a complete scripting and modeling newbie and getting them making games in thirty lessons or so.

5. janoonk

janoonk

I am a teacher also and give Unity. I made some presentations and made some excersises and a 3D pong workshop. Would love to get in contact with other teachers and share materials.

I already gathered a lot of free (video)tutorials and documentation (12GB!) which I use in my lessons.

I will be attending Unite 2009 so I hope to get in contact with some teachers there.

6. shader

shader

Hi janoonk

I just tried sending you a PM.

What's the difference between sentbox and outbox ? I am confused - never seen this before ??

Did you receive my message ?

thanks

7. janoonk

janoonk

yes received it... will get back to you (via pm)

sentbox: is what you have sent in the past
    outbox: is about to be send
    I guess...

8. melmonkey

melmonkey

Since my campus is in the process of ordering Unity, I thought I would chime in.

I am starting to put together outlines and pathways for teaching four courses in the upper levels of our Game Art and Design programs using Unity. The problem I may face is the fact that I have to deal with accreditation, since we are an accredited school.

My plan will cover, in order, Programming for the Artist (since we don't have a programming track, we teach the artists the basics of programming), Level Design, and Prototyping I and II.

I to would like to talk to others about how they approached the teaching of game design using Unity.

9. shader

shader

My situation is that we have been using another game engine system but I don't want to continue with it (for a variety of reasons)

I am, therefore, effectively starting from scratch again. This is why I am so very greatful for free material.

Thanks

10. dongke

dongke

Wow, that's cool.

11. perick

perick

Hi guys,

I'm a PhD student in Brazil and down here, every year, we have a game development conference (SBGames). This event comprises academia (I'm also a teacher) and industry. We expect to have around 1200 registered students and developers this year.

I've proposed a tutorial on the development of games with Unity3D. The tutorial was aproved by the conference chairs and I'm inviting all brazilian (and south american) develpers that live near Rio de Janeiro to show up and discuss and share some ideas.

The conference will happen from october 8 to 11, at PUC-RIO (the university behind LUA).

Check out more on http://www.puc-rio.br/sbgames09