Search Unity

Feedback Creating a Business oriented VR interface

Discussion in 'VR' started by runette_unity, Apr 14, 2020.

1. runette_unity

runette_unity

2. tom_e_roberts

tom_e_roberts

We are in a similar situation (VR for business use) and I feel a very familiar similarity in the issues we've had. Though we have tried to focus more on multi-platform support (OpenVR support being a big one for us). We've ended up not using the Oculus Integration and just the basic support offered by the built in vr support in 2019.4 (avoiding the new Unity XR stuff due to lack of support for OpenVR).

Also VRTK 4 seems to do a lot of complicated stuff in the background which I am wary of, how have you found it?

3. colinleet

colinleet

Ooph, so many hard truths here. Nice article.

Living here in Unity VR land for the past year is basically an evolving vr clusterfuck that is three render pipelines, interacting with multiple major xr plug-ins (all of which are being depricated before their successors are out of a practical pre-alpha "preview"/beta (oculus legacy/steam vr --> xr plug-in manager --> open xr (ignoring window MR entirely here)) -- mixing with two to three entirely separate input systems (unity legacy --> xrik (device based common usages) --> the new input action based system) -- all of which are then sticking their fingers (or licking the door knobs) of different ux frameworks to place dominance/ownership over then -- has given me a lot of extra sympathy for any one plug-in developer trying to keep up with making their stuff work out of the box for even two or three of any of they above rat's nest of bubble-gum-welded frameworks.

Overall I think of all the packages above are going to need to take a much lighter touch when it comes to trying to do too much stuff at one -- limiting the functionality that each their scripts/components of their system do...

At least that the only way I've found it possible to be able to snap in new frameworks the twoish times a month I need to switch some foundational system out for another... By basically manually writing extra abstraction layers for each layer (like my own extended intractable classes to support moving platforms, or my custom input actions which can be invoked by multiple input systems without needing to rewrite all of my custom user controlled systems).

Basically feels like I need to ultimately minority to majorly rewrite interfaces over everything that enters my door just to keep it from breaking what's already there. I wish things were more baked before Unity served them up as a new "standard"... But practically then again staying a full year's release behind the times -- where it's nice and stable -- means you're basically volunteering your system to a two to three year short life span in terms of tech debt.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    tom_e_roberts likes this.
  4. brkinq

brkinq

Seriously, though, this question can’t be answered without a lot more information. I would recommend getting very clear on your niche and learning more about your target market. By the way, I learned the information on this mod from the article (if you are interested, you can read more)

Once you do that, then you can start branding. Coming up with a great tagline is part of the process of branding.

And keep in mind that your tagline is probably going to evolve as you work in the trenches of your business. Most theories a business owner has about serving the market don’t pan out. Successful businesses have to pivot and adjust, which will bring adjustments to your tagline, branding, and products.

Good luck!

5. brkinq

brkinq

I am thinking of starting my own business and am looking for a good programmer to create one application. In short, I want to make such a system with which I can use one button to communicate important information to my whole team, for example, about a planning meeting or a problem.

6. blackl1stbangg

blackl1stbangg

Hello! You don't need to spend extra money to create such an application for your business. We did it for you. Take a look here and rate the level of optimization and comfort of our public address system. I think you do not need to spend money not only on the creation of such an application but also on its further development and support. We can conclude a contract with you and implement our system into your business.

7. brkinq

brkinq

Very interesting topic, but I am interested in IoT development. I want to make a project on the IoT (Internet of Things). How do I start?
    If anyone knows, I would love to read something about it and learn new things for myself.