Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating a 3rd Person Combat System - Unity Development Series

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by kierenhovasapian, May 22, 2015.

1. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

THIRD PERSON SYSTEM TUTORIAL 002
    Hi Everyone!

Here is Part 2 to the Third Person System showing a progression on how to make your own Third Person System.

This lesson covers creating a jump animation which calculates the ground impact using a raycast and blending the results to an animation in Mecanim.

NEXT LESSON IS SETTING OUR FIRST COMBAT MOVES

sarum likes this.
  2. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

THIRD PERSON SYSTEM TUTORIAL 003
    Hi Everyone! Part 3 is here and it's ready to blow your mind!

This tutorial features how to start creating the combat setup animations and hooking that correctly into your Animator Controller.

As always if anyone has any questions, just let me know :)

sarum likes this.
  3. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kieren

just downloaded from your youtube channal, thanks.
    I'm developing a 3d sidescroll [camera allways look z direction] game. here is a screenshot.
    http://i3.tietuku.com/58c7405fd17526c4.jpg
    it is not 2.5D, the player can also move along z axis. like in the old arcade game named "knight of the round", 'dragon and durgeon'...so it's more like a 3rd person game with the camera allways look z direction.
    I think your systerm may suit for my game.
    I'm looking forward to your melee combat and enemy npc part.

waiting the release of your work in assetstore. and i highly suggest you make this combat systerm easy to use to buyer, no coding required.

kierenhovasapian likes this.
  4. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice that you are back and active again @kierenhovasapian.
    Sad thing is that I am not using Playmaker so the tutorials do not help me this much.
    Hoping you will release the controller anytime soon on assetstore.

Keep up the good work.

5. dibdab

dibdab

are those anims humanoid? (if they are not, they won't work for other characters)

playmaker can't export .cs? (not using playmaker either)

there are nice ideas though in the tutorials.
    thinking about combo control (for touch screen): I think I'd use 2 sticks/buttons, position of 1. for choosing attack and clicking of 2. for starting attack

6. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@dibdab Good idea for the combo control - I'll look into implementing that for touch devices :)

I'm actually writing a script that will be able to compile playmaker to .cs it's a bit buggy at the moment but I hope to have it working soon :)

7. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Oh and yes the animations are humanoid!

8. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@RonnyDance Thanks! Yes I have been working hard and will continue too. As for not using Playmaker don't fret, I am working on a script that compiles Playmaker to .CS - It's a bit complex and has a few bugs at the moment, but it will get there.

9. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @witchscroll Thanks for checking out the tutorials :)

You'll be super happy to hear that I am implementing a 2.5D edited scene file for this exact purpose and actually have just finished recording a tutorial about creating a system like the one you're after. I should have it by tomorrow on the channel and if you have any questions about it please just let me know and I'll help you :)

witchscroll likes this.
  10. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

By the way, does anyone have tips on submitting assets to the asset store? Anything in particular I need to know before hand? Cheers!

11. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks for your info kieren.
    About your question submitting to the assetstore:
    It's pretty important that you give Unity some informations about you. Meaning if you submit something you should fill your "personal site" which is shown up if someone clicks on the name of the author. A picture and most important some text about you is needed.
    I saw like 2-3 assets that were rejected because Unity told the authors to add some informations about themselfes.

The rest ist cosmetic. Nice picture, description etc.
    And perhaps not submitting it as "Complete Project". It should be a package which you can import in every already existing project. Lot of people did not like this for example in the Invector 3rd Person Controller.

Cheers
    Ronny

12. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kieren

nice news! I'm waiting to see your scene and tutorials about that.
    about assetstore
    thrust yourself kieren, it's just a small cake to you.
    look forward to see it in assetstore.

13. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kieren

hows the tutorials and assetstore things going ? can't wait to see it .
    good luck.

14. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @witchscroll

The tutorials are going great, I just put up 2 more and I'll link them here soon.

Plus I have submitted two packages to the Asset store, one is a dynamic movement pack full of animations like diving, falling, hanging, drunk walking and more!

The other Asset is the full on movement animset system. OR the Ultimate Movement System. If it doesn't get past the Unity asset store submission in the first round I'll upload it to my website for purchase until the Unity Asset Store is fully submitted. I can't wait to finally release Version 1.

Cheers.

15. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kieren

nice to hear that !
    but, I think:
    about your submitted
    there are so many animation and movement pack out there in assetstore.
    what i'm looking for is not just a charactor controller for player, but a fully combat system include player and enemy npc.
    and after i import such a package, i can simplly replace the models of player and npc to the one in my game, then place them in my scenes , then it's done. such as when player get into distance near npc, the npc attack player , and i controled the player combat with npc. and the npc know how to dodge and block my attack....maybe they can even play a death move like in witcher3..... I think the most valuable part of your stuff is the combat system, that's also the difference between your stuff and other's.
    about your tutorials
    I'm glad to see finally there IS a tutorials about charactor controller and combat system all in one at youtube, and that's so high quality. in part4 , you even show how to make different damage from different part of enemy [front and back]. you also show how to make player attack and damage multi enemies. the next video is about enemy npc, i think it must be smart and have ragdoll. cool tutorials!
    look forward to see your 006. 007.....
    about what you said before
    when it coming out ? you know i'm developing my indie game, that's something like that. if your package is exact what i need, i may use it in my game.

16. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @witchscroll

As you sort of requested here is part 1 of creating a 2.5d game system in Unity. I hope this helps and once I have it completed I will upload the package to my site if you want it :)

For your reference @witchscroll

--
    In your case instead of locking the player to the z axis you would simply setup the z axis to let the character move backwards and forwards with mecanim. If you need a seperate tutorial for this let me know. But the main thing in your case is setup the jump button for space and leave the w,s,a,d keys for movement in the x and z axis.
    --​

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  17. witchscroll

witchscroll

thank you kieren!

just downloaded your 2.5d tutorial in youtube.
    I'm very interest in how to setup the combat systerm[it may include auto lock on enemy, combo attacks, knock off, block, bleed, positon, throw knife, death-move....] and enemy npcs[light armor faster one, heavy armor slower one, bowman, magican], hope the tutorials about it coming soon.
    you do not need to hold your breath, i'm not hunting you. hehe.

during the developing of my indie game, i think the combat part is very important. there are some package about charactor controller in assetstore. like third person controller by opsive[this controller looks nice, but it have no melee combat systerm], the sword and shield animset pro by kublod[it have both, and also use playmaker], but i think your combat system looks far more quality then them. when i saw some of your videos i remember witcher3. you have done a great work.

about
    make seperate tutorial about it , if you have time. and also the 006.007...of the create a third person system series.
    omg, it looks like you have so many works to do.

hope i can see your next upload soon.

18. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@witchscroll Perfect, I'll make a seperate tutorial about it for you. You can rest assured that I will try to include something about creating a combat system in the tutorial as well. I'll also include the project files in the description of the video as well. :)

19. sarum

sarum

best wishes for the releases :)

20. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Your thread title "creating a 3rd person combat system unity development series" is misleading, in fact you make tutorials for your plugin combat system.This is not tutorials from scratch to create a TPS system how the title is suggessting.

22. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @zenGarden, Yes this topic has gone off track over the past month - I will get it back on track :)

23. witchscroll

witchscroll

but I think you havn't drive away too much. all talk are about "creating a 3rd person combat system unity development series"

I saw your site, there are few animation pack and touch things, not my cup of tea.
    I still wait for your tutorials and plugin package. in fact i checked your youtube video channal everyday. i'm very interest in your combat system, hope your uploades coming soon.
    if you make something like i said before, i may buy it for my indie game.

good luck.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  24. witchscroll

witchscroll

I check your youtube channel everyday, hope the following tutorials about 3rd persion combat coming soon.
    good luck.

25. JustaGameDev

JustaGameDev

this getting updated ?

26. witchscroll

witchscroll

I check his youtube chanal every week, havn't saw any update this year.
    hope it coming soon.

27. rooster2

rooster2

with this tutorial would i beable to make a game where its a pvp arena styled game (i will obiously find a different tutorial for networking tho but would i be able to use it for that?