Search Unity

Creating a 3rd Person Combat System - Unity Development Series

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by kierenhovasapian, May 22, 2015.

1. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

Great! Where did you get such good animations? I've been working on the similar project but didn't manage to find good animation clips for combat moves and strikes. But I did some work for network syncing and error correction / lag compensation.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    thedreamer and kierenhovasapian like this.
  2. zenGarden

zenGarden

Make it simple and efficient like Bloodborne game, a simple shiny point.

kierenhovasapian likes this.
  3. Nyt0x

Nyt0x

Poke on that too, that's exactly what I was going to ask, maybe a robust module movement/combat base would be nice at first, avoid to make a bloated asset with too many features from the beginning there are too many asset like that on the asset store.. (assets in general, like AI assets that could even make coffee if you ask...).

Also I'm interested in what you're doing because, it looks good and I started implementing almost the same thing but based on finalIK, to use procedural movement on top of a small set of animation (not planning to release it) but now I'm wondering if it won't be easier for me just to wait for you to finish it buy it and mix it with what I've done. (That's part of why I'm asking too if the logic is decoupled )

4. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@thedreamer Yes it was taken to into consideration when I started the system, I have been taken measures to ensure easy scalability for mobile.

5. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

I like it!

6. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Lots of layering, makes it easier to fine tune your animations and make them look different every time, kinda procedural in a way.

7. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@Nyt0 haha AI that makes coffee, that would be fantastic.

Getting back to the topic at hand though, the asset has been built from the ground up using a super modular design, if you don't want any of the fancy stuff like climbing or horse riding...you don't have to use the modules.

FinalIK is good for the feet placement. I have found greater accuracy using their asset than my system, however when it comes to upper body IK tends not to react well in a stressed environment that's why layering is important, as layering is more of a defined number and IK systems require constant calculations reducing frame rates and the general performance of the game itself. I'm actually uploading the most recent update right now to YouTube so it should be up soon.

Glad you're interested in my asset and hope you stay around. Cheers.

dnnkeeper likes this.
  8. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

I know that layers and blending can make smooth natural result but did you use motion captured or handmade animation clips? I'm interested in using same combat moves and strikes.

9. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

UPDATE 10
    - CLIMBING SYSTEM AND CROSSBOW -

Big update is here, still have a lot of features that need tidying up and bug fixes, however the first pass of the climbing system is here and it's fully procedural - so you can climb on any wall as long as you are falling before hand, need to tweak the system so you can climb from a standing position.

Also horse movement and the crossbow are fully working now!

+ Added slow mo cinematic death camera for you when you take out enemies and the game detects it should look cinematic.

As always more updates are rolling out and the next things to come are the UI:

- The skill and level tree
    - Lock on indicator (didn't have time to implement in this update)
    - Improved Combat Again.

Skip to 1:00 to see Climbing System
    Skip to 0:19 to see the Crossbow Integration

TheNorthridge and dnnkeeper like this.
  10. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

The animations are a mixture of both mocap (for base movement) and hand animated for specific actions that I needed for the system.

dnnkeeper likes this.
  11. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

NEXT UPDATE
    - UI INTERGRATION (Skill trees and Leveling Up)
    - Better Combat Performance and Movesets
    - Better Combat Collision System
    - Lock on indicator

Stay tuned!

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

You must work on ennemies AI, they are mocing form one direction instead of trying to circle around the player and attack him from different directions.

You could launch 4 direction traces from player center to determine where AI could position around the player.
    Or manage some position slots, each ennemie will decide it will take a position slot , then others will take others slots available, each slot is a position around the player in four directions.

13. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Loving this so far, definitely love the climbing update :)

I think AI needs a tweak too, when people get shot with the crossbow, the others dont seem to react in any kind of "GET OUT OF THE WAY" situation. I agree with zenGarden that they need more diversity in attack patterns too.

The Crossbow looks great, but her posture, especially the head looks stiff when she is aiming with it.

Combat is looking better and better, hopefully you can start implementing counters like in Arkham City and Assassins Creed soon, to make the system flow nicely. I also love the cinematic kills, but I think they would be far improved with some cinematic kill animations ;)

Climbing looks good so far, reminds me of the recent climbing system in the latest Tomb Raider.
    Hopefully it will be improved too :)

Nice job so far! Would love to see another playable web demo soon :D

14. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Quick Update
    - Climbing System Updated Functionality -

This is just a quick video update of the climbing system with the move right and move around right corner animations into the system.

XCO likes this.
  15. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@zenGarden Yes I completely agree, I decided to do a massive overhaul of the combat - I wasn't happy with it. So it will allow the enemies to find different approach positions and attack slots and timing to allow for a better flow in combat.

Archania likes this.
  16. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@TheNorthridge Yes I agree, as I said with @zenGarden the combat system is getting a full overhaul as I wasn't happy with it. It will allow for smoother combat and faster interaction with the enemies.

Everything is slowly getting better and better but it takes time now, so many things to increment slowly and test and make sure it works properly.

17. zenGarden

zenGarden

good.

The new climbing movement will need some refinement, actually the character is like sliding on the air like matrix, just take a closer look at Tomb Raider or Uncharted 4.

18. thedreamer

thedreamer

Is there news? I look forward to your updates.. Do you have any Plan about ETA?

19. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@thedreamer soon... Big things coming soon :)

20. unit3ro

unit3ro

With the quality of uncharted 4 would be awesome. But that would take much more work to run an entire system like that. Hopefully that's the desire to kierenhovasapian :).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  21. chingwa

chingwa

I'll be watching this. Looks like you've made some amazing progress so far :)

22. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@unit3ro haha yes, I have been studying that Uncharted 4 15 minute gameplay video and analyzing the system they use. It's incredible how much animation sliding and popping they have in the game - however it's only apparent if you go frame by frame. Check it out if you have time it's pretty interesting.

unit3ro and theANMATOR2b like this.
  23. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Thanks @chingwa Glad you are liking it!

24. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

*pokes*

Hi! Any new updates?

25. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @TheNorthridge Yes a new update is coming really soon, I promise, I have just been really busy as I was accepted into the Xbox ID program. So there are a lot of developments happening right now. I am also developing a game for the app store which ties into an upcoming console release.

Keep an eye out, big things are coming!

26. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

I want to apologize for going dark for a while, there has been a lot on my plate. However there is a big video update I am shooting right now for the next video developer diary, should be cool and interesting to watch. Stay tuned, it will be up tomorrow at 4pm Australian Time.

TheNorthridge likes this.
  27. chingwa

chingwa

28. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@chingwa That article was really interesting... It will be fun to see how far I can push Unity to do something like that. I recently finished a context sensitive Cover System - That will be a big feature in the upcoming dev diary.

29. unit3ro

unit3ro

hello kierenhovasapian
    I wonder which method you use to make character animations, they are very well done.

30. jakes-du-preez

jakes-du-preez

Hi

This looks great. Just want to know if you are developing this to be sold on the Asset Store. If so how long before you publish it. Also if interested maybe we can negotiate something as im busy dev the exact component for my game. Let me know. Maybe can Pre-Support you that way.

Great work

31. Lonelymoo

Lonelymoo

Very good work.

32. Licarell

Licarell

Hey...ya @kierenhovasapian any word... it's been a bit, just checking to see if your still with us?

33. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Sure am, just have been working silently on the best release possible.

UnleadedGames likes this.
  34. sarum

sarum

glad to see you are still with us Kieren :)

i will miss the regular updates with videos and builds .. they were very enjoyable to watch and very instructive.

35. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

I agree, more videos! Soon! :v

36. MrIconic

MrIconic

@kierenhovasapian Is the source provided through the $15 pledge on patreon or is that strictly for something that has a tutorial (aka the fps tutorial)

37. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Yes for the $15 you can request the source files for this project or any project I am posting about :)

38. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

From where can I request it?
    Any more news about upcoming release or update, because I saw you working on the FPS addon but this thread became pretty quiet. Your Controller looks pretty awesome. Hope this will work with InventoryPro if you add your inventory stuff to it. Because I am already using Inventory Pro as Inventory solution. I would use your controller just for combat, camera and movement stuff.

Thanks a lot!

39. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

I will be re-vamping up this forum again - Got a bit burnt out from my last big project - But you can definitely implement this 3rd Person controller into the InventoryPro plugin - just have to cross reference some scripts - but if you get stuck I can show you :)

If by request you mean support my projects on Patreon for the $15 mark you can ask for any project I'm working on and I'll give you the latest project files to where I am up to. This is if you want the package early until it's finally released :)

You can support me on https://www.patreon.com/filmstorm

If you have any in depth questions you can always PM me.

40. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Thanks LonelyMoo!

41. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Yes me too! But I re-vamping my production workflow so I can ensure a constant stream of content :) I am now releasing videos every Tuesday and Thursday (AEDT Time) so keep an eye on my channel - I am also doing a heap of tutorials on how to make a FPS game from scratch. In time I will start the series on creating a Third Person System from Scratch as well :)

42. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

If you're still interested you can support me on Patreon for $15 and request this Third Person System's project files - it will help me keep working on the final package and help you at the same time :)

43. sarum

sarum

sounds like you are gonna be very busy :)
    i will check your channel with great pleasure and interest ...

44. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

THIRD PERSON SYSTEM TUTORIAL 001

Hey Everyone!

I have been working hard and have finally made a 22 minute tutorial covering how to start making a Third Person Character System. It's pretty in-depth and covers a lot from Mecanim and to setting up a simple camera system.

I hope you enjoy it and as always if you have any questions or comments, just let me know :)

darknubis365 and sarum like this.
  45. sarum

sarum

I am really greatful for this tutorial kieren .. it is an eye opener to me .. thanks !!!

i have a question :)
    i followed the tutorial very closely, everything works great except that my character stays on the same spot (the animations and blendtree work fine, but he is not driven by the root motion) .. even when i preview the animations (in the preview window) the grid under him doesn't move. Any ideas what i did wrong ?

46. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

@sarum Thanks for the kind words,

for you question there could be a couple of things going wrong... the first thing could be that the animations don't have root motion - so instead in your movement FSM - remember the inputvector we made? You just need to put another action in called controller simple move - then in the movement vector - just assign it to the inputvector :)

Now when you move around the character will move... although you might notice some slipping with the character because there's no root motion. - Root motion stops the slippage.

If you want to do it properly you might need to load the animations into a 3D Program like Motionbuilder and then keyframe the root of the model to create (rootmotion haha) - once the keyframes are set for example running - the keyframes would move the character forward - save and reimport the animations and now you'll notice the character working correctly.

If it still doesn't work send me another message and I'll try to keep helping :)

sarum likes this.
  47. sarum

sarum

i tried the controller simple move and it worked, but i see what you mean with the slippage .. so the issue is coming from my animations .. no root motion.
    many thanks for helping me clarify that :)
    have a good day !!!

48. witchscroll

witchscroll

Hi kierenhovasapian

your work looks nice and usefull, i suggest upload this third person system to asset store for people can buy it.

just downloaded your THIRD PERSON SYSTEM TUTORIAL 001 from youtube, wait for your 002 and 003....

good luck.

49. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Hi @sarum, No worries! If you need help with the animations just let me know.

50. kierenhovasapian

kierenhovasapian

Thanks @witchscroll

I will be adding it to the asset store very soon!

But keep an eye out for more tutorials coming very soon!

Cheers,

Kieren