Search Unity

Creating a 2D game world map for metroidvania (Ori style or Hollownest).

Discussion in '2D' started by Metthatron, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Metthatron

Metthatron

Hello,
    I am planning to start working on the map menu system of my game like the ones mentioned in the title. So after an unfruitful search online with different keywords (all minimaps...sigh), I am torn over whether to use :
    • A stencil based approach by drawing a downscaled map on DCC tools, porting it, then blurring the uncharted zones at the beginning, then flagging the pixels on a render texture (which is not optimal since the game world could evolve in the future)
    • do some other technique. (I am lacking ideas and inexperienced, sorry..)
    To be honest, even for the first idea, I am unsure how I should exactly transform my world space to map space. This is my first time tackling such a case and if any one could guide me in the right direction to recreate such maps and the algorithm/logic behind them, that would be super nice. I am at an intermediate level and have a decent understanding of shaders / C#.
    Environment is URP, using unity's 2D suite.
    Thank you very much for your time.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

There's so many ways of doing this, ranging from pre-snapshotting the level yourself, dropping that in and gradually revealing it, to procedurally doing it at runtime. Each way has plusses and minuses... I think you need to pick one and explore it, then if you don't like it, rip it out. With source control, reverting arbitrarily-massive changes is one click and done.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    Metthatron likes this.
  3. Metthatron

Metthatron

We were thinking of procedurally building the map at first but that's too overkill and resource intensive for the size of the project, I believe. I will look into pre-snapshotting the level. This will be good time to prototype it so git comes in handy as you said.
    Thanks for the feedback.