Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Create your own multiplayer CCG with Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by gamevanilla, Dec 1, 2017.

1. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Hello!

Ever since CCG Kit was released, I have received a lot of feedback from users wanting to learn how to create a multiplayer collectible card game from scratch. In fact, this was actually one of the reasons for creating the kit in the first place. For many users, having a solid foundation is good enough to learn and experiment on their own. But I have also learned that many others would prefer to follow a complete, step-by-step course rather than working with an existing codebase on their own. Unfortunately, there are not many resources available in that department.

I am happy to announce that today I released my own course, Create your own multiplayer CCG with Unity, that aims to fill that gap. It teaches how to write your own server-authoritative multiplayer collectible card game from scratch using Unity and UNET. It is directed at programmers with a good knowledge of the basics of C# programming with Unity (but experience with network programming is not required).

The course is currently in early access and joining it during this period is the best opportunity to have a say in its direction and contents while it is being created and, additionally, purchase it at a lower price.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to answer!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    khjunxxllc likes this.
  2. unity_G1RiBS4vIzyStQ

unity_G1RiBS4vIzyStQ

Hello, does the course also contain the kit or does it have to be purchased separately?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

The course does not contain the kit; it is a completely separate codebase that is simpler and focused on teaching the fundamentals of building your own multiplayer CCG from scratch. The sprites used are the same as in the demo game of the kit, though.

4. unity_G1RiBS4vIzyStQ

unity_G1RiBS4vIzyStQ

Oh okay, thank you. Do you know when there will be a discount on the kit ? Because i've bought the course. Thank you for your amazing work

5. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you! The best way to purchase the kit at a reduced price is when it gets selected for a sale. Should that happen, we will announce it here in the forums and via our Twitter.

6. MarcoElz

MarcoElz

Hello I am interested in your courses, but I have a couple ofquestions:

1. How different are both courses? I mean the multiplayer one teach the same as the singleplayer one plus UNET? or I shoul buy the singleplayer one as "part one" and multiplayer one as "part two"?

2. To my knowledge ECS exists as Pure ECS and Hybrid GameObject-ECS, which one do you teach? And do you think the ECS that I could learn in your course may change drastically in the future when DOTS be production ready?

3. When does your black friday coupon code expires?

7. gamevanilla

gamevanilla

Thank you for your interest!

Answering your questions:

1. They are completely different (think Card Crawl vs. Hearthstone). The multiplayer one was created before ECS, so it is taught using classic Unity. It is on my plans to update it to ECS and the new networking library in the future.

2. Hybrid, as there are no built-in 2D facilities for ECS yet. I keep it updated with the latest version of the ECS and will continue to do so in the future.

3. On the 8th of December.

I hope this helps!

8. kiritobattlejack

kiritobattlejack

Coupon for new year ?

9. MarcoElz

MarcoElz

Does the course has been updated since last year?
    Do you plan a future update next year?