Search Unity

Feedback Create With Code Live game projects

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by PolygonPros, Apr 26, 2020.

1. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

For the past few weeks I have been taking the Create With Code Live course offered by Unity Learn. Although I have been learning Unity and C# off-and-on from other Unity Learn and YouTube tutorials for the past 9 months, this class has been really great for structure, motivation, a school-like atmosphere, and community with other learners.

I have been modifying and expanding on the prototypes we work on for the class, as part of the assignments and for my own enjoyment. I'd like to share them here for feedback, if you want to give them a try!

The first game I'd like to share is my version of the infinite runner lessons. I call it "Mr. Tee's Wild Run", because reasons.

Play the WebGl build:
    https://connect.unity.com/mg/other/mr-tee-s-wild-run

Gameplay Description: Mr. Tee loves kicking cans down the street. But crates are bad for his health! Help him run for as long as you can, by running, dashing, stomping, jumping, and double-jumping through the cans, and dodging the crates. Hitting multiple cans in a row scores combos - extending your running time, and occasionally boosting your health. If you run out of health or run out of time, Mr. Tee's run is over. GL & HF!

****** Controls ******
    Jump = Spacebar
    Double-Jump = Spacebar x2 (pro-tip: you can jump extra times after colliding with cans or crates)
    Dash = Right Arrow
    Key Stomp = Down Arrow Key
    Restart Game = Enter

I'd be happy to read your feedback, and answer any questions you might have. I'm curious to see how long you can last in the game, how high you can get your max combo, what you think of the overall difficulty and the difficulty ramp-up, and if you think the game is fun or not. Any suggestions you have to make the game better, are very welcome. Thank you for giving the game a try, and helping me learn coding in Unity!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Here are some of the things I added to the base Lesson 3 project from the course to create the game above:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Double-Jump (and kept the extra jumps from colliding with obstacles, as if the player is on the ground).

2) Stomp - when the player presses down arrow, adds a force pushing the player rapidly downwards, the opposite of jump.

3) Turbo Dash - when the player holds down right arrow, temporarily doubles the move left speed.

4) Health Counter - instead of dying from the first hit, the player begins with 5 Health, displayed at the bottom of the screen. Each collision with a Crate obstacle reduces the Health by 1. Game is over if the player is reduced to 0 Health.

5) Time Remaining - displays the time the player has before the game is over, beginning at 45 seconds.

6) "Good" Obstacles - while Crates are "bad" obstacles that damage the player, Cans are "good" obstacles. Colliding with Cans gives the player a bonus to the Time Remaining, ranging from 1 to 5 seconds.

7) Combo Counter - keeps track of the number of Cans the player collides with in a row without colliding with Crates. Each Can collision increments the Combo Counter, giving the player a Time Remaining bonus starting at 1 second, increasing by 0.25 seconds for each successive collision, to a maximum of +5 seconds per collision. Combo Counter resets to 0 if the player collides with a Crate.

8) Max Combo - keeps track of the longest Combo the player has achieved during the current play.

9) Time Elapsed - shows the player how much time has passed during the current play.

10) U.I. - implemented a U.I. which displays all the necessary info to the player at the bottom of the screen, and a Combo +/Reset message which appears above the character when they collide with objects.

11) Intro Scene - added an intro scene which teaches the player the goals and rules of the game, the controls, and lets them practice the controls before starting.

12) Dynamic Spawn Manager - changed the Spawn Array so that it grows over time, adding a greater variety of obstacles (mostly bad) to the array for spawning, every 10 seconds. These new obstacles are randomly selected from a separate "Difficulty Array" populated with trickier obstacles to avoid.

13) Increasing Speed over time - the scrolling speed increases slowly over time. Once the Spawn Array has reached its maximum size of new difficulty obstacles, the speed increases at a faster rate, to keep the difficulty going up.

14) Added a start-over button: "Enter" to reload the scene at any time.

15) Temporary Invulnerability - made the player temporarily invulnerable after colliding with a Crate, so that colliding with a big stack of them will not automatically reduce the player to 0 Health. Same for Cans, colliding with a big stack of Cans will not give the player a big immediate Combo bonus.

3. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Another project I created for the Create With Code Live course, here is my version of the "Prototype 2" (week 3) shoot-em-up game:

Play the WebGl build:
    https://connect.unity.com/p/polygon-pros-feeding-time

Gameplay Description: It's Feeding Time for the dogs on the farm! Move up and down with the cursor keys, and throw steaks with the space bar. Feed all the hungry dogs and don't let any get past you. Can you win the game by achieving a score of 1,000? Good luck!

****** Controls ******
    Up Arrow = Move Up
    Down Arrow = Move Down
    Throw Steaks = Spacebar
    Restart Game = Enter

Some of the changes I made to make it my own and a more complete game:

1) changed the scene layout, camera, and scripts to function in side-view instead of top-view
    2) each time a dog collides with a projectile (steak), it instantiates a variant of the dog with the steak in its mouth, running in the opposite direction
    3) added a score counter, the game ends if the score reaches 1000 (you win) or drops below 0 (you lose)
    4) 10 points scored each time projectile collides with dog, 10 points lost each time a projectile goes all the way out of bounds, and an increasing number of points lost (starting at -50) each time a dog runs past the farmer out of bounds
    5) made a UI displaying the score and messages to the player
    6) added background music
    7) dynamic difficulty adjustment - newly spawned dogs get faster each time you score points, and get slower each time they run past the farmer
    8) added a restart button

The kind of feedback I'm looking for: Did you have fun? Was it challenging? Did you like the scoring system? What would you add to this little game to make it better?

Thank you!

4. PolygonPros

PolygonPros

Here's my personal project submission for the course. I made a retro-ish synthwave lane shooter, where the player darts back and forth between lanes, shooting wave after wave of enemy robots in the face with lasers:
    https://connect.unity.com/p/blaster-force

Download the game: https://polygonpros.itch.io/blaster-force-prototype

I'd love to hear your impression of the game, if you like the look and how it plays, and what you'd like to see expanded upon. :) Thank you!