Search Unity

Create something awesome with Unity 4 and DirectX 11 for the chance to win $10,000

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Dec 18, 2012.

1. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

@Aurore: If assets from Asset Store are used, then it isn't within the license to redistribute the project with them, correct? So, would it be possible to submit the project folder with those removed w/ the understanding that someone else could buy and install those assets into the project? Use of these assets are not core to the demo, but are still necessary.

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Hey Amir,

The winning projects will not be redistributed so no need to worry about that. The wording in the rules is somewhat ambiguous about this part.

3. bngames

bngames

Hi

Wanted to enter this but my Unity 4's Pro Trial as run out, I emailed support in Dec 2012 and never got a reply :( and now it's to late, bit sad about this!

4. Emptiness

Emptiness

Hi,

Could you please someone tell me what exactly need to upload for this contest?
    When I start to register my project there are 4 steps in the description.
    The 3rd one says:

"Upload your Unity Project file, .exe and any extra information about the project in a text file by January 16, 2013 at 11:59 p.m CET."

What kind of "Unity Project file" do I have to upload? I don't have one special project file. I have a lot of files.
    Should I have to upload my whole project folder with all the files?? It could be more than 2GB and contains my own developed assets.

Thanks

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

@bngames did you get a case number?

@Emptiness When you registered you should have received an FTP URL and password in an e-mail, you need to use this connect to our server via an FTP client and upload your files there. We need the project folder to verify your assets and that you are using DX11.

6. bngames

bngames

I did send it late on 24 Dec was going to do something over the holidays, didn't get a ref number back :(

7. Aurore

Aurore

If you sent that request to us from the e-mail you are using for your forum account, we sincerely apologise but we never received it. If you sent it from another e-mail, please PM it to me so I can check if we got it.

8. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Hello!

I have filled out a request form for participation. How long does it usually take to get an email reply?

9. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

It says on this page that multiple entries are permitted. Do I have to do name the project files anything fancy or will : 'DX11Comp_[MyName]1' 'DX11Comp_[MyName]2' suffice?

10. Aurore

Aurore

@smb02dunnal You should get an e-mail through within a few minutes, and yes that is fine with the naming convention.

11. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Thanks! :)

12. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

I have just submitted my contest project, do I have right to distribute a video showing my project (on youtube) or I have to wait for the final of the contest?

13. xenius

xenius

I assume you would. If you read the Terms and Conditions, you still retain full ownership of your entry. You are simply granting Unity a licence to use it for the purposes of this content, and advertising.

14. Aurore

Aurore

You can upload a .txt file with a link to a video and upload screenshots of your entry if you wish, but it is not required.

15. Aurore

Aurore

If you started your upload before the deadline time but it will finish after the deadline, your entry will still count.

16. cemnahit

cemnahit

Hello;

I uploaded my projects .exe file and data folder on time (16.01.2013 23:48pm CET), but i realized that i have to upload project folder as well. Since it's big like 2.5GB, i started to upload now, but my time shows 00:22 pm CET at the moment. Is it a problem to upload project folder after 00:00 pm ??

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  17. Aurore

Aurore

Sent you a PM

18. Aurore

Aurore

To maintain fairness and integrity of the competition, if you had not uploaded or were not in the process of uploading ALL the required files by the competition closing deadline of 11:59pm CET on the 16th of January 2013. Your entry WILL NOT be counted.

19. cemnahit

cemnahit

In below explanation it says

"Upload your Unity Project file, .exe and any extra information about the project in a text file by January 16, 2013 at 11:59 p.m CET."

What is "Unity Project file" means in that sentence? file means file, not folder. You explained in the forums i understand that, but i did not checked the forums. So is this my fault?

20. Aurore

Aurore

As I explained in my PM, it would be unfair to the hundreds of other entrants who have understood and adhered by the rules and uploaded the correct items to us by or on the deadline.

21. cemnahit

cemnahit

And also i cannot read any information about "uploding ALL the required files" statement anywhere in Terms and Conditions?

http://unity3d.com/contest/dx11/terms

I think there is some serious problem about "What is ALL required files to be uploaded" ??

22. Aurore

Aurore

We will still look at the folder you uploaded on time, if it contains everything we need to judge i.e. A project we can open in Unity to inspect. Then that will be counted.

23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

As soon as the "project" is mentioned, my immediate understanding was that you should upload everything in the project folder, the project folder in unity terminology (as in the project launcher) being the root folder of your project, the one above the "asset" folder.

I really wish i could have participated but it was a tad too early for me:(

24. Aurore

Aurore

The confirmation e-mail upon registering for the competition included.

"
    Tips to upload.

1. You will need to upload your project in a .zip file named DX11Comp_[YourName] (where [YourName] is your first and last name).

2. The .zip file must contain your Unity Project, .exe and any text files to your personal folder.

"

25. cemnahit

cemnahit

I can not see anything unfair to the other competitors here. That i uploaded my distributed exe and data folder just on time but started to upload my project folder just 20 minutes after that because i didn't realize that i have to. If this written everywhere and everybody understand to upload project folder why @Emptiness user posted something like this in the 3rd page.

I think i am fully right in every point and i will fight to prove myself to you guys. You can not just throw my work into the trashcan.

26. cemnahit

cemnahit

This statement is not clear, i refuse. And in terms and conditions does not have this statement either. I am very pissed right now, but again i am saying this is not fair that you will not count my project in. At least you must respect me that i am honest to all other competitors here that i realized to upload my project folder. And i realized it by just reading your post here.

27. Dabeh

Dabeh

It is VERY clear.
    If it wasn't clear when you read it, you should have emailed support.

If you put time into this you should of also put time into understanding what you were putting time into.

Also, very bad luck. I doubt they'll make an exception but good luck.

28. Aurore

Aurore

All other entrants have understood and adhered to the rules, what you have uploaded in time will be taken into account and looked at. What you continue to upload to our servers right now will not, as they are now in effect 2 hours after the deadline and not even in a compressed .zip folder of their own.

29. cemnahit

cemnahit

At least you are not ignoring my project and i appreciate that. I started to upload my project folder @ 17.01.2013 00:20PM CET when i realized i had to but it was too late:( .And i am sorry for all competitors and fellow workers of Unity that i miss understand project folder thing. And thanks for this great game engine too.

I hope other competitors will understand me and all together will allow my work to participate in this competition.

Thank you.

30. Aurore

Aurore

Thank you for your understanding.

The winner will be contacted and announced on the week of January 28th.

31. cemnahit

cemnahit

Did you realized that i uploaded my distributed exe file and data folder on time. Don't be so rough, this could have happened to you as well. We are not robots, we are humans and we can make mistakes. This mistake is not what i intended to do and i missed to upload only my project folder by 20 minutes! Can you feel my panic about that?

32. null77

null77

CET :(

That sucks.. there should have been a mention of the time zone in the FAQ on the contest page.

33. Aurore

Aurore

On the registration page and in the Terms and Conditions and every FB and Twitter posts. We did miss it in some areas and we apologise for that.

34. null77

null77

35. Aurore

Aurore

All the feedback we get will be used for next time.

36. Dabeh

Dabeh

Yeah I can. We do make mistakes, that's why I said good luck.

37. gizm0san

gizm0san

Thanks for having this competition, I crunched pretty much all month on my entry, had a lot of fun working on it, seeing if I really could do the scene I was attempting. Learned something new I didn't know how to do, write my own shaders instead of relying on the strumpy shader. I probably won't win, since there's probably a lot of competition way better programmers than me, but its probably the best looking VFX i have done using Unity 4.

Thanks for keeping me occupied!

Lee
    VFX Artist

38. Aurore

Aurore

@gizm0san Great! So glad you had fun with it, one of our goals was to get people to try new things :) Good Luck!

39. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

Will be the list of all projects taking part in the contest available for public?

40. Aurore

Aurore

No, we will only be announcing the winner.

41. Arkhivrag

Arkhivrag

But it is my right to make my project public, or not ?

42. Aurore

Aurore

Yes of course, you don't need to keep it secret :)

43. Filto

Filto

Be fun if people uploaded webplayers of their projects for the community to see. Even if you don't win its good exposure right. So bring on the goodies! ;)

44. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

So, how many projects have been submitted in total?

45. Aurore

Aurore

Still need to double check but it's over 100.

46. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

If anyone missed the deadline why not compile your program(I'm not sure if they have to submit it as a unity project or complied program) and release it on the forums here as a missed entry just so people can compare your work.

47. zlovro

zlovro

to Aurore, you as Community Manager here - please answer:
    can i put here web link to my unity 4 DX11 competition project?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  48. scarpelius

scarpelius

A video from youtube will be more appropiate because many people use apple and many windows users didnt upgrade to a DX11 video card.

49. Aurore

Aurore

Yes of course you can, feel free to share your projects here in the form of youtube videos, screenshots and/or webplayer, take your pick.

50. zlovro

zlovro

yes you absolutely right